*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303809-So-Goes
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2303809
Flash Fiction
So Goes

“Honey!” called Jen, “Going to the grocery store!”

George yelled back, coming up the steps, “Number six screws.”

“Grocery shop,” Jen said back.

“The hardware’s in the same parking lot. Just run in, can’t you?” had he looked at her face he may have changed his mind.

“Why can’t you go? You know where everything is there.”

“Just ask the clerk, it’ll only take five minutes…” he picked up his sandwich, “There was something else… I forget. If it comes to me, I’ll call you.” And back down the cellar steps he went, apparently fast enough not to be hit by the daggers his wife was sending him with her eyes.

Jen shopped first and then just as she was reluctantly heading for the hardware store, she got a text from George. All it said was, “I forgot, no ladder!”

Jen stood there glaring at her phone. A ladder! First of all why? And second there were six thousand different ladders in the world, how was she supposed to know which one he wanted? As she stood there, she got more and more angry. Finally going into the hardware store and buying a ladder so big they had to strap it to the top of her car! “This will teach him a lesson!” she smiled to herself.

When she got home, George was outside drinking some lemonade. As he got up he said, “Did you get my text saying ‘no matter’? I never did remember…” and then he saw the ladder. He got such a grin on his face. “You bought me a ladder? How did you remember I wanted one, I couldn’t even remember the little thing I wanted you to get today! I love you!!!”

Jen smiled, there was nothing else to do.

And so goes a marriage.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303809-So-Goes