*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303823-The-Mirror
by KimE
Rated: E · Draft · Paranormal · #2303823
An old house with secrets
The Mirror

“Better not look in the mirror.” Adam told Quinn. Quinn ignored him and his superstition.
“ I mean it- something bad always-” Adam stared at Quinn who looked anyway. The mirror shimmered in multiple colors of blue and green. The rush of waves were heard in the quiet room. Quinn saw a beach through the shimmer and reached out to touch it.
“Quinn- Don’t!” Adam yelled. In one swoop, Quinn was sucked up into the mirror. Some sand was left behind. Adam shook his head.

Another friend is gone.

“Stupid house- always taking everything from me!” Adam spoke out loud. He left the room and headed downstairs to the kitchen.

“Where’s Quinn?” His mother, Fran, asked while putting groceries away. The look on his face says it all. “Aw, I’m sorry honey- I’ll get ready for his family and what needs to be done.”

Adam slumped into the couch and turned the TV on hoping to distract his mind. A news channel briefly came on and the reporter with red hair said, “Quinn Lawereance was kidnapped last week. His last whereabouts was by Adam Brody house. Anyone knows anything, please call 800-282-7878.”

Adam’s mouth dropped open. “What? How? Are they accusing me?”How come the police never showed?”

His mother walked in. “What police?”

“I’m not sure if I imagined it but Quinn apparently was kidnapped a week ago and they said his last whereabouts was my house.They even said my name!”

His mother didn’t look surprised. She let out a breath and told Adam it was her doing to kidnap him.

Adam got up from the couch, with an angry look and wanted to say something but had no words for his mother.

“The house needed him. I’m sorry but he was sort of a nobody.” His mother tried to be supportive.

“He was my friend! Mom, you can’t keep taking my friends, my girlfriends, boyfriends and sacrificing them to this damn house!” Adam yelled.

“You watch your tone, mister.” Fran pointed her finger at Adam. He huffed and left the house slamming the door behind him. He had to get out and away from the house and his mother.

Adam was somewhat popular. He has friends. But never invited them to his place. Yet they keep showing up and wanting to see that special room with the lonely mirror.

Everyone knows about his house and its hauntings. But they never knew they would never come back.

One time, Adam did try the mirror for himself. But the shimmering light threw him back up. He never saw what was there other than the sound and smell of the ocean. He likes to think his friends went peacefully and lived the best life in the afterlife.

Meanwhile Adam’s mother always takes control over everything and over his life too. She knows this house has special needs and if it is not fulfilled, the house will eat her and Adam. Although she isn’t fully sure, she had found an old journal from the previous owner. But can’t find the full answer, if you are eaten. She feels bad for taking the people Adam knows but she does some research prior- making sure they are not really anyone special so it will be less suspicious.

The next day, the police did arrive. Adam and his mother were home. Adam was scared shitless, while his mother was kept cool under pressure. Both police were tall, built, handsome, and married.

They sat in the living room and Sgt. Willow asked them both, “Do you know where Quinn Lawrence may be?”

Adam spoke. “He left my house last week. I haven’t seen him since.” Adam tried to breathe.
Sgt. Kester said, “We had other complaints about the other missing teens and their family all reported they were last seen back at this house.”

Fran spoke up. “Are you accusing us of the missing teens?”

“No ma’am- we are simply stating a complaint we learned recently. Sgt. Willow replied.

Sgt. Kester asked, “So any idea where the other teens are? Brittany Bates and Timothy Maxwell.”

Both were Adams' girlfriend and boyfriend at different times. “Same thing officer- they left and I haven’t seen them.” Adam replied.

Both officers looked at each other and knew something was off. Sgt. Willow said, “Okay that’s it for now. Thanks for your time and statements.”

They all stood up and walked to the door. Once they left for sure, Adam and his mom let out the longest breath.

“I’m so proud of you, my love, for not cracking.” Fran looked at Adam.

That made Adam more upset. Her words, her control, her stubbornness, her calmness. Everything makes Adam not want to live there anymore.

“Next time I won’t. Next time I will say something.” Adam told her and began ascending the stairs.

“You will do no such thing! Do you want me to go to jail? You know I’m doing this for both of our goods.”

“I’d rather be in foster care or live with Aunt Mo then stay here another minute with you!” Adam stormed to his room.

“You don’t mean that Adam!” His mother yelled from the bottom of the staircase.

A few days have passed. The police came back with a search warrant. Adam was so happy to see them.
Adam and Fran had to sit in the living room with another officer while they conducted the search. They found some things that belonged to the missing teen. Adam explained they were in a relationship and they gave it to him. An hour later they met up in the living room.

“Well we couldn't find anything. Sorry for the intrusion.” Sgt. Willow said as they all gathered to leave the house.

“Wait! Did you check the room with the mirror?” Adam shouted. His mother looked at him to keep his mouth shut.

“We checked all the rooms- what are you not telling us?” Sgt. Kester asked.

“Come, I do have something to show you.” Adam started up the stairs.
“No! You can’t go up there. They said they didn’t find anything Adam.” His mother looked like she was about to cry. Which made Adam even more happy.

“They do have a search warrant and they need to see this.” Adam and the officers continued upstairs. Adam opened the room with the lonely mirror.

“So, I’m sure you’ve heard about this house. It needs sacrifices to stay calm. This mirror is the portal where my friends disappeared and never came back.” Adam spoke. There was an officer recording and also taking pictures.

Sgt. Kester looked scared. But asked, “How does it work?”

“You look into it. There’s a shimmering light that will appear and it shows you I’m assuming a beach and well it hypnotizes you and then it sucks you in.”

“Adam! Why did you say that?” His mother was in tears.

“Because mom, I'm tired of you taking away everything from me.” Adam looked stern.

Sgt. Willows handcuffed Fran. But before heading down, they wanted to see if the mirror works. Sgt. Kester Looked into the mirror and the green and blue shimmer light appeared. It showed a beach in the middle of the hole. Sergeant Willow pulled his partner away and the shimmer disappeared.

“This is paranormal. I'm not sure what to think about this. We will see if we can find someone to help us help you.” Sergeant Kester said.

They all proceeded out of the house and Adam's mom was in handcuffs.

“Thank you, son for telling us this but does your mom really have something to do with it? " Sgt Kester asked.

“Oh yeah oh and she may lie but I'd be happy to testify.” Adam smiled.

The officer looks worried but can understand where he is coming from. He too had a controlling father.

A few weeks later Adam went to visit his mother. It's the least he can do. She told him about the journal she found and the house will be angry if it doesn't eat. Adam did believe her on that part. He told her a priest came by and blessed the house.

After his visit with his mom he went to his house. The house once stood tall but now has slumped a bit. The police caution tape was everywhere. The door had a bolt on it. But he knew another way in.

Through the basement window. He went upstairs to the room with the lonely mirror and stood in front of it.

“Okay mirror, please send my friends back. The witch is gone.” He spoke to it.

Adam wasn't sure what would happen but in a moment the shimmer light grew larger and larger. People started to come out one by one but he did not know until his friends came through. He hugged all of his friends and kissed those he loved the most, which was Timothy.


Soon the medium sized room became too tight. Adam went to get a step stool and place it in the doorway to make an announcement. He explained to everyone what had happened to them in this house and he also explained the date in case they were wondering. He had asked everyone to stay in the house while he called the police.

Sergeant Kester and Sergeant Willow along with several squad cars showed up. They were shocked to see how many were stuck in that mirror. “How did you do it?" Sergeant Kester asked.

“I took a swing at it. I basically told the mirror to send my friends back and the witch was gone.” Adam smiled.

Adam and the sergeant laughed. “You are one sick kid.”

“Well she deserves it.” Adam stood there smiling.

Adam met up with his friends and asked where they were. They all said the beach. And ask why he could not go. Adam told him about the time he had tried. They all hugged once more.

A few days later they spent time with their family. And was ready to go back to school. Adam went to check on his house again only to find it had crumpled itself. Literally crumpled as if it's starving and hollow inside. He went up to the frame and placed a hand on it. “Rest in peace, old house.” Was all he said.

And with that the house took one last final breath and slumped some more.

As for the survivors, they were all healthy and happy. I guess living at the beach for an afterlife basically doesn't sound so bad after all.




© Copyright 2023 KimE (kesme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303823-The-Mirror