*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303826-China-vs-Africa
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Educational · #2303826
China’s Role in the World and Africa’s Future in the Globalized Economy.
Review by Claude Simpson

My Thoughts after reading the book China in Africa – China’s Role in the World and Africa’s Future in the globalized economy.

“The Next Factory of the World – How Chinese Investment is Reshaping Africa” by Irene Yuan Sun

This book provides valuable insights into the intricate economic relationship between China and Africa, highlighting China's transition to modernization and its impact on the continent. The book describes how Chinese enterprises have successfully invested in infrastructure, natural resources, and manufacturing industries in various African countries, partnering with local businesses and communities to transform the economic environment. However, Africa faces several challenges to realize its full potential, including improving infrastructure, education, and skill development, fostering a business-friendly environment, and ensuring political stability and transparent institutions for sustainable economic growth.

The book also addresses the widespread belief that Chinese companies do not employ Africans, which is untrue. Studies reveal that Chinese companies operating in Africa primarily hire local workers. However, doing business in Africa comes with challenges, including poor governance, corruption, and the unintended consequences of Western development strategies.

Africa's economic potential and significance in the globalized economy have recently gained attention. The continent is rich in natural resources, has a large and growing population, and offers a potentially vast consumer market for various industries. To realize its potential, Africa needs to diversify its economy beyond commodity exports and integrate into global value chains by investing in sectors like technology, manufacturing, and services to add value to resources and products.

Understanding the complex relationship between China and Africa can help both parties navigate the globalized economy for mutual growth and development. Investment deals must be mutually beneficial and contribute to long-term development while safeguarding Africa's interests and sovereignty (Sun, 2017).



References

Sun, I. Y., (2017). The Next Factory of the World. Harvard Business Review Press.
© Copyright 2023 Claude H. A. Simpson (teach600 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303826-China-vs-Africa