*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306145-Organizational-Change
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Educational · #2306145
Change in an organization should lead to positive outcomes.
In "Buy-In," Kotter and Whitehead (2010) outline effective strategies for gaining support for your ideas and achieving desired results. The key is understanding the tactics critics commonly use and responding accordingly. The book uses a fictional narrative to illustrate these attack strategies and provides specific counterstrategies for each category.

My key takeaways from the book include the importance of sharing your ideas and using a four-step strategy to gain support. This involves assessing the situation, anticipating criticism, responding constructively, and acting. Rather than shutting down critics, the book encourages inviting feedback to draw attention to your proposal. By responding with clarity and common sense, you can gain buy-in from busy individuals.

The book sheds light on the many good ideas that fail due to criticism, making it essential to take steps to prevent this. This includes double-checking your plan, incorporating feedback, ensuring understanding, and having a communication plan. It's also vital to watch out for common attacks such as fearmongering, delay, confusion, and ridicule.

When responding to attacks, it's crucial to keep the discussion open and brief while focusing on the broader audience. Once you've addressed the criticism, it's time to act confidently without distractions. By facing criticism head-on and responding constructively, you can help ensure the success of your ideas.

References
Kotter, J. P. & Whitehead, L. A. (2010). Harvard Business Review Press Boston, Massachusetts.
© Copyright 2023 Claude H. A. Simpson (teach600 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306145-Organizational-Change