*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304325-Different-Strokes
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2304325
Flash Fiction
Different Strokes

“Did you bring it?”

“I said I would.”

“I know what you said. I’m asking if you did.”

“You’re being a creep.”

“I can live with that. Where is it?”

Karen took an envelope out of her pocket, holding it out to Jeff.

Jeff took it, slowly. “This is all of it? It doesn’t look like much.”

“It’s everything. It wasn’t much, actually.”

“Funny.”

“You are such a…”

“Don’t. Listen, I take no pleasure in this. I just don’t trust her.”

“You’re talking about my sister.”

“I know, but I think she was way better at being a sister, than a girlfriend.”

“Actually… probably not.”

“What? If you think that, why did you make it so hard for me to get back my love letters?”

“I wanted to know who was actually wrong in this relationship. I figured if you really wanted them, they were probably sincere.

“Of course, they were sincere!”

“Hers weren’t.”

“Well, I know that now. I’m surprised she even kept mine.”

“She didn’t, I did. She tended to throw them away right after she read them.”

“What?! Well… that makes more sense. All she wanted was a rich boyfriend, when she realized I wasn’t rich… she didn’t want me.”

“I love my sister. But, if she wasn’t my sister, I wouldn’t even talk to her.”

“You’re kidding. Well, how did you get my letters from her?”

“Pulled them out of the waste basket when I saw them there. I read them all. Sorry…”

Jeff sighed, “Now that makes sense.”

“Are you still upset? I’m going for ice cream…”

“I love ice cream!”

Three years later they were married. Karen’s sister, Maid of Honor, never married. However, she did have a pretty spectacular, and very full, life, which Jeff and Karen happily never once envied.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304325-Different-Strokes