*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304552-Chapter-one
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2304552
Book is called My Magical and Mystical Adventures. Marina's Adventure. (preteen-teen Book)
CHAPTER ONE

         Hello, my name is Marina Lee. I am a teenager who is only 4”11 with medium brown hair and small build. I am the quiet type until I get upset then I become very vocal. I never liked being noticed or having any kind of attention paid to me. However, most labeled me as the troublemaker because of odd things that happen whenever I am around.

I usually have sweaters or jackets on with either skinny jeans or blue jeans. I take pride in wearing strange and unique shoes every day because they fit my true personality. I always blare my music and keep my head down low when outside of my house. Honestly that is enough about me, I am sure you are here for the story, shall we begin?

“Mom, do I really have to go to school?” I asked once again. I was hoping that one day she would crack and reply with not today instead of yes; however, I already knew the answer before I even asked. Mom was trying to get my little sister to the table to eat breakfast while I sat down to eat my pancakes that mom placed on the table moments before. I waited for her to tell me the answer was no in the most extended way possible as she does every morning.

“Marina, we are not going through this again.” My mom replied while running around the kitchen, packing our lunch for school. “The answer will always be the same. You are going to school; you need education. I expect you to behave today.” I just rolled my eyes because she has told me to behave ever since I was little. It was not my fault that freaky things would happen to me nearby.

I tried to persuade her once again. “But mom, you know that no matter where I go something freaky always happens. I always get blamed for it, and you must get me from school anyway. I have an idea why not homeschool me?”

Soon after I placed the plate in the sink and was getting the backpack on my shoulder and school ID around my neck, knowing what mom would say next.

“MARINA ENOUGH!” my mom said in a stern voice. She then calmed herself down, went over to me, looked me in my eyes and said, “we are not going to homeschool you or your sister. Yes, you are different from other kids in your school. However, that does not mean you need to be at home twenty-four hours a day, every day. There will come a time when your father and I will not be around to help you out of trouble. You need to find a way to control yourself. We are trying to prepare you for...” her mom stopped herself from completing the sentence instead she went back to mother mode like she does every morning.

“Are you ready for school? We are going to be late for school again.” her mom replied while getting the car keys. Marina just shook her head yes and headed straight for the door just like every morning.

“Why did she not finish the sentence she started before she went back to being the stern mom?” Marina thought to herself as she helped her sister into her car seat. “I will find out what you are hiding.” She continued to think to herself about what it could be when they arrived at Tempa High School.

“Marina, I know your father and I will receive a phone call, however, please try to stay out of trouble.” her mom said with a pitiful look in her eyes.

“Why do you have pity in your eyes again?” Marina thought to herself as she unbuckled her seatbelt. She did not ask, instead she got near the front seat, said “mom, I will try my best.” with a small smile she hoped looked convincing enough to her mom. She then gave her mom and baby sister a kiss, making sure she got her sister to laugh before she got out of the car to start yet another horrible day at school.

As her mom drove off Marina was thinking about how she was going to be the laughingstock of the school yet again or worse be yelled at by the kids and teachers for something she had nothing to do with.

Marina walked into the school, headed straight for her locker with her head down and headphones in her ears. Once she reached her locker, she did not even have to open it because the small locker door was already open. “Look everyone, the freak is back.” she heard one of the kids say. “I hope she does not do anything today. It is bad enough that the science lab caught on fire last week due to her. We do not need anything else happening.” another kid said while laughing.

“I need to block them out, get to class and get this day over without anything happening.” Marina thought to herself as she closed the locker door and headed down the hall. Even though she had headphones in, and the music turned all the way up she could still hear everyone. She can feel their eyes staring into her, daring her to do something else.

As she walked up to her first class of the day, she heard her English teacher saying “Marina, you know the rules. No Headphones in school, take them off and find your seat please.” Marina did as she was told, even though she knew that was not a great idea. The headphones help her to be calm and relaxed.

After about 10 minutes of class, Marina was getting overwhelmed by all the noise, the whispers of her classmates, the constant staring in her direction, she thought to herself “If only there was a way to make it rain, then everyone would focus on that instead of me.” Before she even had time to process what she had just thought, it suddenly started to rain inside the classroom, everyone jumped up from their chairs yelling and screaming.

“ENOUGH!” yelled the teacher. The entire class went silent and stood right where they were, everyone but Marina.

“Of course, they are staring at me again all because I am sitting down and not freaking out, I mean weird things like this happen all the time. Why freak out when I am used to the odd happening.” “Oh great, here comes the teacher.” Marina thought to herself, as she got her things gathered up and put them into her bag which is the only thing in the entire room that is dry, well she is dry anyways, but that is normal when something odd happens. She is never affected.

“Marina what did you do this time?” the teacher asked her with a stern look that says you had better not lie to me or tell me it was not your fault.

“Ma’am I did not do this, I have no idea what happened or how it happened, but you would not believe me anyways.” Marina said as she stared up at her teacher, the look her told Marina that she was being sent to the principal’s office yet again. “I know, go to the principal’s office.” Marina said rolling her eyes, while getting up from her desk heading towards the door.

It was still raining inside the classroom, however she never got wet, not even a drop. She could hear the other kids pointing, gasping, and laughing at her as she was walking out of the classroom. Here we go again, she thought to herself as she felt embarrassed for being called out again. She does not even know how these things happen.

Marina was silent the entire way to the principals because she knew that by now everyone in the entire school would know what happened and would be spreading lies about how she was the one who did it, about how she supposedly did it. When she got to the principal’s office, the lady was standing there in the doorway waiting for her as usual. She had a disapproving look on her face. “Marina, come on in.”

Marina just walked right past the principal and sat down on one of the chairs, already knowing everything that would happen.

While in the office Marina was not paying attention and at any time, she was asked about what happened, she would explain how she did not know and that it was not her that made it rain. Of course, her mother was called, and she was sent to wait outside the office for her mom to show up yet again.

She was in the hallways when the bell rang, and everyone started to come out of the classrooms. “I heard she snuck in at night and set up pipes in the class and got it to rain by a remote” one student said while walking past her. Marina rolled her eyes and put her headphones in to drown out the noise around her as she did not want to hear more of the ridiculous ways that they thought she had made it rain, even though that idea was clever.

After a while, her mom showed up and went past her and into the office. This has become normal for them. Marina had guessed what was going on inside the office from the earlier encounters. Her mom was trying to convince the principal that it could not have been her, then she would try to have her stay in school and finally she would say I understand and walk out of the office in a bit of a rush.

“Marina, do you have your homework for the other classes.” Her mother asked as she came out, looking down at her daughter with sadness in her eyes. “Yes mom” Marina replied while standing up and gathering her books she got while her mom was in the office. Marina could not even look at her mom because she knew the look, she would see was a pitiful look, so instead she looked at the floor.

“Marina when we get home, I want you to tell me what happened” Her mother said while walking with her to the double doors of the school. “Mom, I did not do anything. The only thing I did was think. Just like all the other times. I swear I did not do it.” Marina replied as she walked outside and down the steps to the car. She tried to make it sound like she was not going to talk about it again. Marina knew better because her mom would still ask anyway.

The car ride back home was silent and felt odd, it was not like all the other times where her mom would tell her everything she had to do before she got her sister from school and then play the radio. Something was different this time, but she could not place her finger on it. Instead, her mom was silent and would not turn on the radio. They drove in complete silence.

They got home and Marina walked inside the house, placed her things on the table, went to get something to drink from the fridge and waited for her mom to sit down at the table and ask her what exactly happened.

However, this time, her mom told her to go get changed and that she was taking her to the mall. She then told her that she could do her homework and chores after they got home if it was not too late in the day.

Marina was confused as to what just happened, so much so that she just stood by the fridge with her mouth wide opened and a shocked look on her face, “Mom?” was the only thing she could manage to say.

“I know that this is not something I would tell you to do after having to come get you from school.” Her mom continued to talk once she knew her daughter was overcoming the stunned phase. “However, I know that this I something that we need to do to bond, maybe even clear your mind. However, if you would rather stay home and do your homework and chores?” Her mom said baiting her daughter into saying no and going upstairs to change.

“I will go change, but is this is a new type of punishment that I do not know about?” Marina asked hoping that was not the case, because it did seem like her mom really did believe her this time and that she was trying to make up for what happened. Her mom just told her no it was not a punishment and that was all it took for Marina to run upstairs to change.

Marina and her mom had been at the mall for most of the day. They window shopped for the most part. Marina opened to her mom about feeling different than the other kids around her. Even though her mom did not answer, she knew that this was a moment that nothing nor no one could take away. She was bonding with her mom.

Once they were home, Marina’s father had asked her what happened that day that got her sent home early this time. Marina told him then told him how the rest of the day went with mom. She had noticed that even her dad was acting strange. It was almost like they had a secret; they were sharing internally that they did not want to say aloud in front of marina.

Her parents finished the night off by ordering pizza and allowing everyone to eat in the living room while watching a Disney movie. This was a treat that almost never happens. Marina had wondered what was going on that was making her parents behave strangely. After everyone finished eating and watching the movie it was time for bed.

Marina had replayed the entire day and week in her mind as she was heading upstairs to retire to bed for the night. This was something she did every night, where she could have herself remember what happened, but then erase all the memories and feelings that went with them while replacing them with emptiness. However, this time she had emotions and questions that were not easy for her to get rid of by doing what she would normally do. Instead, tonight felt like the questions and feelings were taking over and she had no control over what was happening.

© Copyright 2023 svufandom (svufandom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304552-Chapter-one