*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304757-The-Heist---WC-286
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2304757
Marlene has been receiving threatening notes for something she and her buddy, Sid, did.
The Heist
WC 286


Marlene padded to the front door in her muleback slippers, secured her robe, and looked down as she turned the knob.

Another note!

It had been slid under the door during the night; she picked it up.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!” it said in barely decipherable handwriting.

The newspaper on the front stoop was forgotten as Marlene hurried to the window and peeked out. Nothing. No one. She looked out every window on the perimeter of the home. Nothing. No one.

She dialed her phone as she hurried to the kitchen.

“Another note, Sid!... Just now…Under the door…No, different handwriting…”

After she hung up, she sat at the table sipping her coffee as she analyzed the six notes...all in different handwriting, different paper, different messages.

ARE YOU PROUD OF YOURSELF?
WE KNOW YOU DID IT!
GIVE IT BACK!
YOU WILL BE SORRY IF YOU DON'T RETURN IT.
ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

There was a knock at the door. Marlene looked through the peephole. She let Sid in and double-locked the door.

Marlene paced as her accomplice studied the notes.

“Geez, it was just a prank, Marlene.”

“It's a prank when a kid does it. We're grown people, Sid.”

“So, it’s a crime?”

They had stolen an apple pie from the dessert table at the Weekly Town Market, and sat in Marlene's kitchen with two glasses of milk and two forks…

“Well, someone's not too happy.”

“Let's just give it back, Marlene.”

“We can't. We ate it.”

“It was the perfect combination of sweet and tart…” Sid said, remembering.

“The pan’s in the dishwasher. Go and get some Granny Smiths. I’ll bake another pie. We have until tomorrow.”

Sid hurried off.

Marlene hoped it wasn't too late.
© Copyright 2023 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304757-The-Heist---WC-286