*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305193-George-and-Helen-Boyington---WC-226
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2305193
The couple enjoys yet another anniversary celebration.
George and Helen Boyington
WC 226


George and Helen Boyington sat across from each other at the candle-lit anniversary table.

"Well?" Helen Boyington said. “I’m waiting.”

Her husband squirmed in his chair. The next words out of his mouth had to be right on the money or twenty-five years of marriage might get flushed down the commode.

"George, tell me the truth."

"You know I fell in love with you the minute I saw you at Wellington Station way back when Helen."

"I don’t mean all those years ago," she said, squeezing his hand. "Do you love me now, George?"

Of course, he still loved her, but more like a sister or his favorite Aunt Lizzie. He gulped his champagne, stalling for time while he formulated his answer.

"Silence speaks volumes", his wife said as she pulled her hand away.

The couple had experienced many good years and had three exceptional children. Helen was a wonderful woman…

George looked across the table at the mother of his children. Tears streamed down the creases in her face.

"Helen, I will love you until the end of time," he said, finally.

He reached across the table and wiped away a tear.

Helen kissed his hand.

"As will I," she said, her shoulders relaxing.

And so, dear readers, yet another bullet dodged for yet another year in George and Helen Boyington's Game of Life.
© Copyright 2023 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305193-George-and-Helen-Boyington---WC-226