*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305495-The-Budget-Falls-Off-of-a-Cliff
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Entertainment · #2305495
Flash fiction 9/30/23
“What do you make of that Ben?”

“I think it's to tell people that you can do those glider things here.”

“But the little man doesn't have a parachute.” May replied

“Budget cuts? You know how government people like their budget cuts.”

“Ben, the little man is clearly falling.”

“Well whatever's over there, someone doesn't want other people using it. They put up a wooden fence and everything. That's probably where the budget went.”

Both men turned their heads towards the sound of approaching footsteps. May caught sight of a man in black running shorts and a sleeveless blue shirt.

“Excuse me friend!” he yelled, waving a hand in the air.

The runner slowed down and popped out a single earbud.

“What?”

“How do you get down to the beach from here?” May asked

“If you're trying to get to the beach, then you're going the wrong way,” The man replied. “That sign means the cliffs are unstable and that they could give way if you get too close to the edge.”

“So it's not for skydiving?”

“Paragliding” Ben corrected.

“What? No! Look at the sign, the figure doesn't have a parachute. Besides, everything off of the trail is protected habitat, you two can't even be over there! Now come back to the path, it's a pretty easy descent to the beach.”

“What about the paragliding thing?” May cut in.

“There's a place nearby, but it's not here. The gliding port is like another twenty minutes down the road. Just drive past the university housing, you'll see signs that tell you where the port's parking lot is.”

“See? This is why I shouldn't take directions from you Ben!”

“You still follow me though, so I'd say this is your fault really.”

The runner shrugged and kept going.


wc 299

© Copyright 2023 drfluoxetine (drfluoxetine at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305495-The-Budget-Falls-Off-of-a-Cliff