*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305701-Good-Girl-Syndrome
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Essay · Career · #2305701
Do you always put others before your own needs?
I first encountered this term when I watched the movie Gone Girl. She was depicted as a typical woman in today's society. She always said yes to her parents and even to her husband until, one day, something triggered her, which caused her to snap. However, I am not here to discuss the movie, but rather, I am here to discuss my perspective on the Good Girl Syndrome.

According to the Cleveland Clinic, Good Girl Syndrome happens when girls and women internalize cultural messages about how they “should” behave that are stereotypic in nature.

In my case, that means that I always have to agree with what our society and even what my family says as beneficial without allowing me to question if I am agreeable to it. I always have to dress modestly, or else my parents will frown. Also, I must choose a career in Business, Medicine, or Law. Most preferably Business plus Law.

I did not know that it was a toxic trait I had been carrying. I always said yes to everything until one day, when I was still a Law Student, my mental and physical health could no longer take the abuse. It takes guts to be a law student here in our country; it is ranked as one of the top 6 countries where it is difficult to be a lawyer. Only twenty-one percent of the bar exam takers will pass.

Every night, I ask if there is nothing else that life can offer me. Then I told myself this must be the definition of being dead inside. Despite the achievements and success I was able to amass as a law student, I still feel empty inside. Until one night, I told myself that I needed to be honest with myself and choose my happiness regardless of what my parents would think.

At first, they were hesitant because they thought being a writer was not profitable. However, I write not for money but because it brings me happiness and satisfaction, allowing me to express myself freely and, at the same time, let other people read what I write. Now that my parents see how happy I am, they support my decision and guide me to share my skills with the right people.

This is why I will say that I have a good girl syndrome, and even if I can say that I have overcome such an experience, it is still the good girl who is always afraid to say no to anyone. There is nothing wrong with choosing your happiness and saying no if it only brings you loneliness instead of satisfaction.

Do you also have a good girl syndrome?


Image belongs to EnvisionWellness.Co
© Copyright 2023 WritingCoffeeBear (coffeebear at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305701-Good-Girl-Syndrome