*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305952-Springtime-in-DC---WC-298
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2305952
Julia has a date with her boyfriend, Miles. Things take a turn...
Spring in DC
WC 298


Dogwoods were blooming along the Potomac; the scent of lilacs wafted through the morning air. Spring had finally arrived in DC.

Julia Mason exited the Potomac Avenue Station and floated toward Peligrine Espresso, the cafe where her beloved was waiting. Twenty-three-year-old Julia had never been in love before and the euphoria was almost scary, but she embraced it.

Along the way, she noticed military vehicles trolling the streets. DC had been changing since this new Administration came into power: new laws, new restrictions...

Two armed soldiers stood at the entrance of Peligrine Espresso.

As she approached the front window, Julia could see Miles sitting at their table in the corner, sipping his coffee. She could hardly breathe, she found him so handsome in his own quirky way: his lopsided smile, his mop of curly auburn hair...

She waved. He waved back. Julia reached for the door handle.

One of the guards restrained her. "That's against the rules!"

"I come here all the time."

"A woman alone is not allowed," said the other soldier.

"My date is waiting for me," she said, pointing to Miles.

"Rules are rules, ma’am. Please move along."

"Can't I just--"

"Move along," the first soldier said as he guided her, his fingers biting into her right arm. Julia had no choice but to walk back toward the station.

She pulled out her phone as she trudged along. She would call Miles and then her congressman, once she remembered his name... This was the United States of America, not some third-world country. Julia Mason had rights, or so she thought.

Dogwoods were blooming along the Potomac: the scent of lilacs wafted through the morning air. Spring had finally arrived in DC.

All the beauty of the season escaped Julia Mason, preoccupied with her conundrum.
© Copyright 2023 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305952-Springtime-in-DC---WC-298