*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306422-Judy-and-Carls-Meet-Cute--WC-294
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2306422
They meet in the produce aisle in a unique way.
Judy and Carl’s Meet Cute
WC 294


Utter, total darkness.

I sat up from a prone position on what appeared to be a gurney. Or did I?

I screamed. Or did I? It was like screaming in a soundless vacuum in outer space.

The last thing I remember was sitting in my Kia reviewing my shopping list. What had happened between the parking lot and wherever I now found myself?

A handsome stranger with the brightest blue eyes I'd ever seen was observing me from above.

Stop looking at me!”

Did I say that out loud?

He didn't blink.

I tried to get up again, but I was nailed to the gurney.

“What happened to me? Am I dead?”

Did I say that out loud?

The fog was clearing, but my head was pounding. I was beginning to remember. I was in Safeway, headed down the produce aisle, and then ...nothing.

From what I could tell, I was on the floor near the grapes and cherries, just down the way from the bananas.

“Can you get up?” he said, his husky voice sending shivers through my prone body. “Should I call 911?”

“No, no,” I said as I got to my feet with his assistance. “I think I'm okay.”

Miraculously I was, except for a massive headache.

“You slipped on a grape and went flying.”

“I hope it didn’t sound rude telling you to stop looking at me.”

“A beautiful woman like you. I could never stop.”

Oh dear.

“May I buy you a cup of coffee, Miss?”

“Judy.”

“So nice to meet you, Judy. I’m Carl,” he said, slipping his hand into mine. “They have a Starbucks. What do you say?”

Oh, dear.

“I’d love to.”

And that’s how I met my husband.

© Copyright 2023 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306422-Judy-and-Carls-Meet-Cute--WC-294