*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306144-Differences
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2306144
A mother and daughter conversation about married life
Differences


“You’re kids are too skinny.”

“They’re not, Mom. They’re just fine,” Olefia replied, dipping another plate into the dishwater, before rinsing it and setting it aside.

“They’re just like all the other kids in their class.”

“Their alien class,” she said. “Half of those kids are from the inner systems. They probably grew up starving. The theocracies there…”

“Are why a lot of those families escaped and came here,” her daughter interrupted.

“But living here is beneath our station.”

“You mean, beneath your station, Mom. And before you say it for the thousandth time, I know you’re Baroness to the Realm, Heiress to…”

“…the Seventh Key, Keeper of the Clandestine Truths,” her mother finished for her.

“You forgot, Her Majesty Olendra, Heritor in Line.”

“Well, it’s the truth.” Then, Olefia’s oldest, Marcus, raced into the kitchen, chased by his younger brother, Alex. They blasted Nerf darts at each other, one of them hitting Olendra. “Oh, this would never have happened at the palace,” she brooded. “Why do you put up with it?”

“Because I love them. I love him,” she said. “He’s kind, and strong, and…” There was a loud bang, followed by a crash in the next room. “What was that?”

“Nothing!” the two boys answered in unison.

A deep sigh and Olendra approached her daughter. She did care, so very much, though this life she had chosen was as alien to her as any. Olendra brushed Olefia’s hair aside to reveal her face. “You’ve lost your pearlescence. Are you sure you’re well? Your skin just isn’t quite as lavender as it used to be.”

“I’m fine, and I’m not a hatchling anymore,” she smiled. “I think sometimes you still look at me as a little girl.”

“You’ll always be my little girl.”

Olefia leaned into her mother’s caress, and she took her hand squeezing it affectionately. “I’ll need you to keep an eye on the boys while I continue packing for my assignment.”

“Does it have to be Earth? Such a backwater, primitive world. Do we really need an ambassador there?”

“The survival of both our systems are at stake mother, Mother. The Abyssal Phage…well, we’ve never seen anything like it. And you know why the Council chose me. My marriage to Scott…”

“About that,” Olendra said. “You know I didn’t approve.”

“Of marrying Scott? I thought you were okay with that.”

“Not that. I didn’t approve of their customs.”

“Our custom is for the mother to eat the father at the birth of the first child, and then regurgitate the pellet to feed the baby.”

“Well, I thought there’d at least be some concessions.”

“Gross.”

“Well, your kids are still too skinny,” she smirked. “So, why do you stay? What is it about this life that so enthralls you?”

“From the moment I saw him, I knew he was the one. He made my quills quiver.” There was an awkward silence. “Too much?”

Olendra nodded.

Olefia grinned. She loved making her mother uncomfortable with normal things. “Anyways, I’d grown so tired of the palace…tired of the servants and the ceremony. Besides, I have three older siblings. I’d never ascend, and Scott was able to take me away from all that.”

“To this?” she scoffed, motioning around their ordinary kitchen in an ordinary house, on a run-of-the-mill space station. “You could be so much more comfortable back home.”

“I have an amazing life,” she said. “Even after all these years, I love him more every time I see him. We work so well together.”

“But that’s the problem,” her mother said. “Work. Doing dishes. Raising your own children!”

“You know, Earth and our world have some similar customs.”

“Such as?”

“Olefia paused, becoming very serious, “Well, I didn’t want to tell you this but, it’s one of Earths customs to serve the mother-in-law.”

“That sounds delightful!”

“They serve her to their friends at a giant banquet. Over twenty courses, I hear. But I pleaded with Scott, begged him really. He was ready to call their State Caterer.”

Sudden horror crossed Olendra’s face.


*********
Scott burst out laughing, almost falling over, “So you told her you were joking right?”

Olefia didn’t say a word.
© Copyright 2023 Chris24 (cnancedc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306144-Differences