*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312341-For-All-Mankind
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2312341
A transition of power as Earth joins an interplanetary democracy.
For All Mankind

“Something on your mind, Governor?” I wondered. Our shuttle descended into the upper atmosphere, and he didn’t answer at first, only brooding, his gaze transfixed upon the planet below.

“Savages.”

“Say again?” I’d heard but wanted to be sure.

“These people…they’re savages,” Governor Lasav replied. “Of all the worlds we’ve extended our invitation to, this is a new low.”

“Please, the Trelobines of Feglion Primuda eat their own parents when they hatch,” I said. “It’s a marvel they ever made it off-world.”

“Oh, I forgot about them,” Lasav smirked. “They’d infected their entire system before…”

“Colonized,” I corrected.

“Infected,” he rebutted with a raised eyebrow. “And they overran seventeen Commonwealth systems before we finally put them down.”

“So, your concerns here?” I wondered. “They seem intelligent…more or less. And they did agree to the treaty.”

“Their history is replete with unnecessary aggression – killing for power and bits of land. They enslave their own people.”

“They’re not unique in that regard.”

“Yes, but these Earthers don’t seem to ever stop. Mindless greed and war are in their artwork, their music; every bit of their culture is replete with it. Honestly, I think the Arbiter is punishing me with this assignment.”

“Well, I think you’re the best choice, and transition can sometimes be difficult.”

“Especially when they resist.”

“Let’s hope they don’t, for their sake. We’ve been clear about the cost of violating the agreement.”

“Total annihilation, right,” Lasav reflected, just as our shuttle broke through the clouds and descended upon one of their largest cities.

Their leaders said New York was the place they gathered to discuss world affairs, and their General Assembly could accommodate dignitaries from across the planet. It was the perfect place to formalize Earth’s membership into the Commonwealth. All eyes would be on their United Nations and, as our ship descended, every recording device was trained on our shuttle. A light thud, and our ramp descended, thrusters powering down.

Lasav sighed, “Let’s get this over with.”

Matsumoto bowed deeply, Earth’s president of the United Nations there to greet us along with other delegates. The crowds had been kept at a distance, far enough away to be any trouble, but close enough to see everything. Only a handful of their media were allowed inside the perimeter to track the events for posterity. Theirs was a shorter race, squishy and covered in hair. Thousands cheered in the distance as we towered over them, escorted to the Assembly Chamber.

As the second delegate, I allowed Lasav to take the lead and remained in charge of our gift, our invaluable welcoming contribution presented to every more primitive society. Following the custom of many cultures on Earth, it was finely wrapped in elegant ribbons and fine paper, hovering behind us on a diplomatic platform.

We experienced their pleasantries of course, and the required formalities. Finally, we reached the General Assembly, and Lasav approached the podium.

“Illustrious salutations, Earthers,” our translators crackled between words, straining to accommodate their languages. Lasav was really good at this, and he began, “Our mission is one of peace. Your planet, your Earth, will join dozens of others in our Commonwealth of Systems, our interplanetary democracy. In exchange for many scientific advances, you have agreed to this transition of power, ushering in a new age for humans. Your universe is about to get so very much larger.” The Governor motioned to me, and I stepped forward with our hovering parcel. “As a token on our good will, we present this gift for all mankind. May this offering initiate a new era of peace.”
Eagerly, I activated the package and it flashed, vaporizing every delegate within the chamber and the surrounding buildings in an instant.

“Welcome to the Commonwealth!” Lasav beamed.

Outside, we were met with screams and chaos, flashing lights and ear-piercing sirens. There were airships and so many shots from all around us. That’s when I lost consciousness.

I awoke in a little stone room with a metal door, still bleeding, a bandage around my primary clasper and missing one eye. Lasav was right – they were savages. They didn’t even appreciate our gift - eliminating the leaders that waged war, killed, and suppressed their own people for power and profit. But it didn’t matter anymore. Governor Lasav was dead, and they were close now. I could feel it. Our Destroyers were circling the Earth, ready to cleanse the planet. In the back of my mind, I happily received the message, “Stand by for emergency transport.”
© Copyright 2024 Chris24 (cnancedc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312341-For-All-Mankind