*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306147-A-Sense-of-Urgency-by-John-P-Kotter
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Educational · #2306147
People should see and feel the need for change. In many cases, it's a sense of urgency.
In the book “A Sense of Urgency,” Kotter highlights the crucial first step in his framework: creating a sense of urgency by getting people to see and feel the need for change. Why focus on urgency?

Establishing a sense of urgency is the crucial first step towards successful organizational change, according to change management expert John P. Kotter. People often get accustomed to things and may only change once it's too late. Kotter's approach is to create a sense of urgency and shake people out of their complacency, making them aware that change is necessary for the organization to thrive and prosper.

Urgency disrupts the watch-and-see mentality and helps bring everyone face-to-face, fostering a shared understanding of the organization's challenges and opportunities. When individuals sense that time is limited and that postponing action could result in unfavorable outcomes, they tend to be more driven to act and implement the required modifications. Kotter believes that when people perceive the current situation as unsustainable or poses significant risks, they are more willing to step out of their comfort zones and support the proposed changes. Change often faces resistance, but creating a sense of urgency can make people more open to the need for change and willing to discuss how to bring it about.

According to Kotter, making progress at the beginning can help increase a person's dedication and excitement toward change. It's essential to act quickly when dealing with unexpected challenges in the ever-changing business world.
Leaders must communicate the importance of change clearly and demonstrate their dedication through their actions to motivate employees to get involved. This creates a sense of urgency and encourages support for the initiative (Kotter, 2008).
Kotter believes creating a sense of urgency when implementing change is essential because people resist change. Organizations can overcome this resistance by creating a sense of urgency and paving the way for success.

References
Kotter, J. P. (2008). A Sense of Urgency. Harvard Business School Publishing.
© Copyright 2023 Claude H. A. Simpson (teach600 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306147-A-Sense-of-Urgency-by-John-P-Kotter