*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306189-The-Lonely-Jack-OLantern
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by D.B.
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2306189
31 Days of Halloween day 8
The Lonely Jacko'lantern


The lonely jacko'lantern sat on the porch where he had been sitting for days. The wind whipped around him and cars honked by but he still kept his wickedly happy grin.

Then came the night when he would glow from the inside and greet the children who came up in their costumes and rang the doorbell. He felt good and warm when the human put the candle in him and lit him up. This was his night to shine and he was looking forward to it. Although it made him a little sad that he was the only jacko'lantern on the porch. There were some porches with lone pumpkins just like him but many had more than one, and he envied them. He could've used some company, and even though there were other decorations on the porch, there were none he could relate to. The spider web and the witch and mummy that were also on the porch were interesting, but he could not communicate with them at all. They were not like him. Not to mention he did not know what was to become of him after this night. He knew he would eventually shrink and rot , but until then he wished to find a place where he could be happy. He knew that some unlucky pumpkins got turned into pie, but he doubted that would happen to him. He also knew that some people also liked to roast and eat pumpkin seeds, and some people even saved the seeds to plant, which made him feel happy.

Soon the crowds of children came to the porch and rang the doorbell and excitedly collecting candy in their colorful costumes. The night grew chillier and darker, and had turned from purple to black. His inner light had dimmed and he was starting to feel nervous.
Suddenly he heard the squeak of wagon wheels. He saw two children in costumes approaching the front porch but they were not carrying trick or treat bags. There were three pumpkins in the wagon. They approached him and looked at him adoringly. They rang the doorbell. The human who kept him answered the door, saying she had run out of candy. But they asked for her jacko'lantern, as they were taking the other lonely jacko'lanterns with them as they wished to have them if they were no longer wanted. They had gone to other people's houses asking for their lonely jacko'lanterns and most of them agreed to let them have them as they felt they didn't have a use for them since Halloween was over. His owner agreed as well, and he was taken into the wagon with the other jacko'lanterns.

The children walked home with their parents pulling the full wagon along, back to their house which was a few blocks away. When they arrived, he was set outside in their backyard with the other jacko'lanterns with a beautiful view of trees and a small fall garden with a scarecrow.

There the jacko'lantern lived the rest of his days with his new friends, lonely no more.
© Copyright 2023 D.B. (fishbone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306189-The-Lonely-Jack-OLantern