*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306258-Haunted-Houses
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by D.B.
Rated: 13+ · Non-fiction · Paranormal · #2306258
31 Days of Halloween day 9
I've lived in a few houses that were haunted-that is, may have been haunted: of course I can't prove it. One was in Salt Lake City, Utah. in the early 70's We were Catholics living in a very Mormon environment but all in all I mostly enjoyed living there. I have to say the house we rented there was very nice. It had a front door with yellow round shape glass on the windows on either side of the door-this was a type of glass that was fairly common in that era. There was a huge sunken living room with a white fireplace where once a week we would read poetry and drink cocoa during the winter months. I don't have a clear memory of how this got started but I do remember Edgar Allen Poe was a favorite. One of us would read by the white fireplace and the rest would listen. There was something very cozily satisfying about it
I shared a big bedroom with some of my sisters and big red drapes hung on the huge arched windows. The kitchen was off to the side and quite open and inviting. There was a dining room with red velvet wallpaper. There was a big basement rec room and in the back of that were my other two sisters' bedroom, and also my two brothers and my parents' bedroom. There were also smaller storage basement rooms off to the side, and those rooms gave me a creepy feeling. One time we had a seance in the basement and though it was dark I didn't have a scary feeling about it. Years later I asked one of my sisters what the seance was for and she said there were things moving around on the shelves in the little basement rooms. I myself did not experience that.

Many years ago I lived in a country house in Georgia with my husband and children. We had purchased the house from my husband's brother. His first wife had died in that house in her sleep. He had remarried and had been trying to sell the house for awhile. The first night there, I had bad dreams but I thought it was just because it was a new place, and frankly I was still missing our old place, a condominium in Atlanta. We moved to the country because my youngest was about to start kindergarten and I thought it would be good for both of my kids, who are special needs. In retrospect, it was absolutely the right decision but the house did creep me out a bit. I would see red blobs in the air at nighttime. I still don't know for sure what they were, I never saw them anywhere else. Eventually those went away. One early morning, my son pointed to his doorway and said there was a monster there. I looked but didn't see anything. He also said he saw spirits. Doors would open by themselves sometimes. There were also cold spots in the house. Interestingly, I found out the house actually used to be a store that had been turned into a residence. It could have been residue energy from people that had visited there. I never got the feeling my sister-in-law's spirit was around. Eventually the weird experiences subsided and we lived there happily for a few years.

The house I spent most of my childhood in I also believe could have been haunted but I will write more on that later.




© Copyright 2023 D.B. (fishbone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306258-Haunted-Houses