*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306571-A-Vital-Decision
Rated: E · Prose · Spiritual · #2306571
Do I Assume the Worst or Do I Trust God?
Job 17:11

“My days have passed; my plans are shattered.”

(Job speaking)

Job 18:21

Surely such is the dwelling of an evil man;
such is the place of one who does not know God.”

(Bildad speaking)


The more I read the book of Job, the more the word “assumption” comes to mind. Job assumed God was angry with him and his life was basically over, and his friends assumed Job’s sins were so great that this was God’s punishment that would continue until he confessed and repented.

As I read these chapters in Job, I’m often frustrated. Even though Job never lost his faith and even admitted that: “I know my Redeemer lives, and in the end, He will stand on the earth”, (v. 19:25), he still assumed that God was angry with him.

And his “friend”, Bildad, wrongly assumed that Job was an evil man who did not know God. He wanted Job to be “sensible so they could talk” (v. 18:2) In other words, he wanted Job to agree with everything he was saying because he assumed he was right.

I, too, am guilty of assumption. I can get myself so worked up over things that haven’t yet happened and probably never will. I can drive myself crazy assuming I know what someone else is thinking. I used to believe that knowing God more would help my irrational thinking. But as I look at Job, I realize that he knew God; he knew His attributes, His power. And still, Job got it all wrong even though he never turned his back on Him.

In the end, it’s about choice. Do I choose to believe and trust God, based on what I’ve learned about Him through His Word and His presence in my life? Or do I panic because I don’t see a clear answer yet when a situation feels hopeless?

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”

Isaiah 55:8-9


Father, the choice is easy. I believe and trust you. Help me to not assume the worst when I’m faced with a problem. Help me to remember that Your thoughts are higher than my thoughts and You are always with me. I praise and worship you in the name of Jesus.





© Copyright 2023 lbidler (lbidler at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306571-A-Vital-Decision