*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306659-What-is-love
by Rhea
Rated: E · Poetry · Romance/Love · #2306659
a brief poem about how I view love.
a little kid asked me today, "What is love?"
oh, how do I tell her that I've never experienced love... that I have never known love?
to be oh so beautifully loved by another human being.
to be someone's muse, their answered prayers, their present, and their future.
to be someone's "Where have you been all my life?" and "I'm glad I'm yours and you're mine"
a kiss on the forehead, "Did you eat today?" every time they see you smile, their eyes are filled with love.

but how do I also tell her that love is also...

to watch the happiness in your mother's face when you tell her your achievements.
to see the contentment in your father's eyes when you talk about sports.
to belly laugh with your little sister's jokes and silly stories.
to go cafe-hopping and cloth-hunting with your best friend on the weekend.
to appreciate your work colleague, when they get an extra cup of coffee for you.
to cry as you recall the bedtime stories your grandmother used to tell you.
to come home to your cat's ruckus and to find comfort in their presence.
to find a connection with a stranger over the internet with a few exchanges of words.
to remember your first friend who wrote down the lyrics of a song, just for us to sing together.
to forgive the friend who hurt you when they found a new love.
to understand the boy who broke your heart because we were young and inexperienced.
to appreciate the boy who would, one day, hold my heart with gentleness and care.

I looked down at her and said...
"Love is... just too beautiful to put it into words.. but.."
"Love is... everywhere"
"Love is... always with you"
© Copyright 2023 Rhea (rhea_susan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306659-What-is-love