*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307115-Oct-24-Plot-Complications
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Rojodi
Rated: E · Short Story · Detective · #2307115
Longfellow knows something's up
“I don’t know,” he began to tell the office manager. “I truly don’t know what I should do.”

Astrid sat and listened intently. She knew how Longfellow operated, talked a stream of consciousness before making up his mind, whether he was writing or working as an investigator. She knew not to distract him, for that would be like sending out a squirrel in front of a dog. She knew, too, that there were certain words that would trigger his mind, get him to think deeper and get to the destination quicker, not take the touristy trip and stopping frequently.

“Oh, I know what you mean,” she said confidently. “You’ve been here before, well not exactly like this, but similarly. She smiled and nodded. “Tell me what you have.”

Without pondering or taking a pause he answered, “She’s connected to at least one of the groups. I can feel it.”

“Connected? How?” Astrid leaned forward, wanting to hear if there was a connection.

“It’s something she said to the others, telling them that she’s never been to the cavern, nor knowing how its darkness, but then she told me that she’s never been so scared before in her life.” He took a sip of soda and added, “She’s been there.”

“Are you saying that she’s lying to us?”

“Us, them, me, I don’t know for sure which it is specifically, but she is lying.”

“Should I call the others, have them come over?’

He nodded. “We have to tell them.”

She picked up the receiver and punched the numbers without looking. “You think she’s with the treasure hunters?”

He nodded slowly. “I’m one hundred percent sure that’s she’s with them. As for the guy looking for the silver, not so much.”
© Copyright 2023 Rojodi (rojodi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307115-Oct-24-Plot-Complications