*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307198-The-Monolith
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2307198
Flash fiction contest entry.
The Monolith (300 words)

One bright morning, Dilby, running late for his first lesson of the day at the wizard’s tower, noticed a giant grey monolith looming in the rose garden, which hadn’t been there the day before. It was covered with strange markings that were glowing green.

As he passed it on his way to the tower, his mind flooded with excitement. Was it a portal to another dimension? Could it be that he’d finally witness some really good magic? After six months as a first-year, all he’d learnt were spells to clean cobwebs or do dishes.

Dilby spent the morning asking other students about it, but nobody had a clue.

He asked every teacher he could bump into, but they all just shooed him away.

“Shoo,” they said.

Later, during a lesson on magical uses for toad tongues, Dilby was staring out the window, watching the monolith. He noticed Archmage Crumble approaching it with intent. Jumping up, he darted from the classroom, knocking over a few ink pots on his way out.

“DILBY,” screamed the toad tongue teacher. Before he could shout “DETENTION” Dilby was gone.

*****

“Ah, young Dilby,” said Archmage Crumble. “I hear you’ve been asking about our new monolith.”

“Yes, sir,” said Dilby. “What’s it for?” The suspense was killing him. “Please tell me it conjures up demons from another realm.”

“Boy, do I have a surprise for you,” said Crumble. “It does something much better!”

Crumble tapped the monolith and a small nozzle popped out, which proceeded to squirt ice cream into a cone that he'd produced from within his robes.

“But —” said Dilby.

“Mint choc chip,” said Crumble. “Had it installed for the summer. Quite ingenious, if I say so myself.”

Dilby dragged his feet all the way back to class as Crumble munched on mint choc chip.




© Copyright 2023 L.A.Saxe (lasaxe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307198-The-Monolith