*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307454-SamhainHalloween
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by D.B.
Rated: E · Essay · Holiday · #2307454
31 Days of Halloween day 30
Samhain (pronounced Saw-win) is a Celtic holiday with ancient origins from which Halloween evolved . Many people still celebrate Samhain and it is somewhat similar to Halloween but there is more emphasis on ritual and remembrance of passed loved ones. It marks the beginning of the Celtic year and is the time of year when it is said the veil of between the living and the dead is thinnest, which means it is easiest for them to pass messages onto us. It also coincides with All Saints Day and All Souls Day, which are Nov 1 and Nov. 2. All Soul's Day is an important day in some cultures for remembering the deceased. There are rituals and ceremonies based around it, and some people seek guidance from their ancestors during this time.

The closeness that some feel for passed loved ones during this time can be felt by a stronger presence of their spirit or through guidance. Rarely does a ghost drop by for a conversation. But many people noticed visits from their departed loved ones in dreams during the Samhain season.

In ancient times hollowed-out turnips with candles were used for lanterns during the fall season. This later turned into pumpkins being used for the same purpose instead, which was the start of the ritual of making jacko'lanterns. Costumes had their origin in protection against trickster spirits, as people believed hiding behind a costume would protect them. Trick'or treat also has roots in ancient Samhain culture (although the treats were of course very different back then.)

Halloween evolved from these ancient rituals and has turned into a worldwide celebration and has also turned into a huge money-making holiday with sales of candy, costumes and decor adding up into the billions in the USA alone. The horror-movie industry has long been lucrative and there are many Halloween-based horror movies. I personally don't like gory-scary movies, but mostly prefer thrillers with a spooky vibe. I do like cheesy monster movies and I also like the fictional creatures of Halloween such as vampires & monsters. I enjoy the many festive decorations as well.

Even though Halloween is considered a fun/entertaining holiday, let us not forget (and many people haven't) that the origins of Halloween are based in honoring the departed.





© Copyright 2023 D.B. (fishbone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307454-SamhainHalloween