*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307486-Trick-or-Treat
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2307486
Flash Fiction
Trick or Treat

“Is there a trick to Trick or Treat?”

“What?” asked Alex, “It says ‘Trick or Treat!’ one, or the other.
“It doesn’t mean anything.”

“That doesn’t make sense, why would they call it that? They could have called it Treat Night, or Scary Ghost Night, or… well, anything. What’s the trick part for?”

“Well,” Alex said, looking at his sister, “I guess it means if you don’t get a treat, you get tricked.”

“That’s weird. It’s not like people have a bowl of tricks and you choose one. I never saw one.”

“Well, why would they, we’re the ones saying Trick or Treat…”

“Oh, we’re supposed to have a trick?”

“I guess it’s like, ‘give me a treat or I’ll trick you.’”

“I like it!” she said.

“What’s to like? Everybody gives you treats as soon as they open the door.”

“Not everyone…”

“I hope you’re not talking about Mrs. Bennett. Mom told you not to bother her!”

“I haven’t. But I don’t like that new kid, Alex, I bet we could get him to try it and then he’d get tricked.”

“Oooh, good idea.”

Plans were made. They invited Alex to join them, being new to the block. Then they told him at every house a different kid says ‘Trick or Treat,’ setting him up to get Mrs. Bennett’s.

It was a bomb, Mrs. Bennet acted like every other old lady. Fortunately, Alex never knew he was the target of a scam, because within the next month they all got to be good friends.

Mrs. Bennet often watches them walk by together. She doesn’t like being old. This was just what she needed for her backwards spell, two boys and one girl. She was so excited! By next Halloween they’d be ripe, and she’d be ready.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307486-Trick-or-Treat