*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2308011-The-Chase
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Dark · #2308011
Tarsh runs into trouble while fleeing the village guard
Tarsh was running from Heft and Reft, members of the Town Guard. The two were twin brothers he remembered playing tag with in his youth. Also, remembered that they always won. He had not spent a lot of time being It when it was their turn to catch, nor had he found it easy to tag them in the game. And they grew out as they grew up; biceps bulging out, shoulders broadening along, height shooting up. Only their tummies had grown inward.

Masterlost! They’re gonna catch me! How can I escape?! I killed the bastich! Needed to be killed but no one understands that! Only mam! But now she’ll have no one when they catch me!

The chase was too easy on this open road. He needed to slow them down and saw a chance when Black Copse was appearing ahead on his right. He veered towards it with overgrown bramble, thick bushes and wide tree trunks offering some hope of hiding and escaping. Already the ground was becoming troublesome as he ran. Harder for them but, alas, for him too! He stumbled, crying out but regained his footing and breathed out in relief.

Finally, the thicket was before him and he jumped in — only to find his way blocked! Thorns and brush got in the way along with large, unexpected boulders. Scrimping and scrounging his way through became hard but not impossible, and he kept moving forward, though much slower. He just needed a place to hide! The brothers roared in anger and unison when they reached the brush since their bigger frames provided a greater challenge to getting through faster. That didn’t stop them though!

Tarsh’s breath was coming in ragged gasps and he felt the sting of numerous thorn cuts on his face, hands and other places that barbs had got through despite clothing. His loud panting was giving away his location but he feared to reduce his exertion while trying to escape.

You’ve lost, you fool! You’ll never escape! Even if you try running for the rest of your life. You’ve failed! Just give up now! Or kill them! That’s your hope! Can you kill them?

Nate, no way I’m killing them! I’m not a monster!
Murderers are monsters and you are a murderer! I saved you with that before and can again.

Tarsh groaned loudly in despair. Now he needed to run from Nate too and Nate could control his body if he grew strong enough! I have to quiet down and stop moving. All this active energy makes Nate strong too!

Crawling on the ground would be foolish, Tarsh knew, even though that would make him smaller. That’s where the plant growth was strongest. Can I climb over all this scrub? Plenty of it and thick too. Instead of trying to push his way forward, he started grabbing growth above and pulling himself upwards. Sometimes his hands slipped through but many times they held too! Though he felt a hundred wooden spikes and stems constantly jabbing him all over, his feet found places to stand as well! Closing his eyes tightly and praying to Master that they would not be irreversibly damaged, he started crawling to the top.

The two guards were cursing more and their voices sounded further away now. They had not managed to advance much and Tarsh could tell. Now I just need to be silence! He opened his mouth widely and let the breath he needed come in plenty as he kept rising through the bramble. Slowly, his panting started slowing down and were no longer intense or loud.

“You see him, Reft?”
“Nay, Heft. Can’t hear him either now.”
“Go grab some hands from Ravish now. Even if it’s just drunks. We need swordhands to cut through this mess!”

Tarsh heard Reft pull out, mumbling and grunting. One down. Right then, glory! The moon loomed large as, at last, his head broke through the wooden net above! He wanted to shout with joy, singing the beauty of freedom from darkness but kept himself in check. There were bare patches of weak growth visible here showing empty spaces to step into, surrounded by walls of bramble. But the branching heights of many oaks and beeches instead truly beckoned to him. In those lush growths of branch and leaf lay the best options of staying unseen and unheard.

He stomped his way quickly to a welcoming, verdant oak deeper inside. Sliding into the plush mound, he finally placed his feet on the fully supporting stable surface of a thick branch. No give here! At last, his entire lower body was supported as he sat down, keeping head and back against the hefty trunk of the oak.

Resting safely for a few minutes, he allowed his thoughts to wander. Can I stay here?
No you laggard! I’m not staying here! You need to flee! Now! Or you can knock out Heft?

Tarsh wondered about that. A conk on the head would be much safer and kinder than a vicious, killing attack. He still had the chance before the rest came soon, wielding wood chopping blades.
Yes! You should do that! Can you though? Heft has a strong head! You still have your dagger blade. One full thrust into the top of his spotless head would be the best attack!
Why do you hate me so much?
There was a silent pause, then, Because you’re weak! You need me! I’m taking control. You’re just gonna get us caught!
Tarsh felt the tingling and muscle strain start in his arms. Fear, strong and intense, began to blossom within. Feeling fear set up a horrible loop that created greater fear and could only grow! Nate began laughing. He was forcing control!
You can’t stop me now worm!
Tarsh began to beg. Please! Don’t do this! I’ll do anything! Just stop!
You can’t stop me and you can’t do anything loser!
His heart was thudding wildly and rapidly. The pain in his mind was reaching the terrifying heights again. Felt like a lightning storm in there!
Please! I don’t want to be! Why should I be? Stop being!
The fear had reached unbearable levels and Tarsh gave up his mind. He surrendered consciousness and Nate took control of body.

Jumping out of hiding from the oak, he roared with glee! I’m coming for you Heft! Can’t stop me!
Nate fell forward, hands splayed out. Thorns pricked but he didn’t care. Tarsh was inside trying to regain control but the fear inside was only causing very loud yelling to come out from the mouth.
Where are you?! Come and dance, coward! Come and dance!
There was bristling movement under the surface and suddenly, he felt two very large hands brush his tunic and latch on! They pulled strongly and dragged him slowly under the surface again. He slashed his dagger wildly but they hit only plants, not even causing much harm there. When he was lower and still thrashing him limbs, he felt the dagger hid something very solidly and very hard!
Gotcha!
“A blade? Oooh, you’re gonna pay for that Tarsh even if you only hit my mail. No more nice from me!”
Nate felt his blade arm grabbed and his hand dragged down to hit some metal. Shouting out in pain, he dropped the knife. He couldn’t move much anymore with all this undergrowth blocking him but still kept struggling. Finally, a fist crashed mightily into his face and falling silent, he blacked out.

© Copyright 2023 Mathew Alexander (disqusnut at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2308011-The-Chase