*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2308619-Jeremy-Smiled
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2308619
Flash fiction
Jeremy Smiled

“You’re in trouble now.” A voice from behind David, whispered, sending a startled shock through him.

He whipped around, almost falling over, and came face to face with… nobody.

A shiver ran down his spine. “Who’s there?” He whispered fiercely, or at least it was meant to sound fierce. It actually sounded a bit like a mouse squeaking. It was dark and he couldn’t see much down the alley.

There was no answer. As he stood there, listening for whoever made the comment to make another, chills started to creep up his spine.

‘It serves me right,’ he thought. ‘Spying on Sandy, who do I think I am?’

He answered himself quickly. ‘I think I’m a jerk right now. What was I thinking? I’m spying on the best, nicest, truest woman who I have ever met. If she stays with me I’ll be happy for the rest of my life. If I screw this up by doubting her, I might as well quit now and give up ever having love.’

Full of shame at his doubting her, David leaned back on the building and relaxed, thinking, ‘No more, I love Sandy, from now until forever I will never doubt her again!’ Then he turned and walked slowly home, the weight of his worry blowing off his shoulders like dust. He was really ready to trust her completely.

Watching him walk away, Sandy wondered why he had been out there in the first place, she thought he was at the apartment watching football. Turning to Jeremy she said, “We really can’t do this anymore!”

But then Jeremy grabbed her and kissed her again, and afterwards, she added, “we have to find another place to meet!”

And Jeremy smiled.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2308619-Jeremy-Smiled