*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2308657-Yippee
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2308657
Flash Fiction
Prompt for 11-20-2023. 300
Write a story that includes the word: globe, curtain, nose

Yippee

Sitting in the spare room of my sister’s house. My fifth day, but I drive home today. Later, when it’s light, and old ladies like me can see better.

I came to help; my sister was ill and is thinking seriously about getting things in order “just in case.” We all do it. Once you get into the seventies you pretty much know every day is a gift. I’ve always thought I’d live to be a hundred. Now that I’m this far, there are days I don’t want to…

Anyway, I’m here, with my dog, my sister has five cats… we spend our time here or in the living room. Here a door, the living room a gate so everything doesn’t end up covered with fur. I’ve been up since four but the rest of the household, even the cats, seem to like sleeping later. At my house there’s TV and cleaning to do, here no TV, plus I need to be quiet! Ugg…

My nose keeps running, I’m assuming it’s the dust. This room doesn’t get vacuumed much, it’s usually full of cats. It’s pretty though, lots of books, a globe with many, many (add more manys) other do-dads on the shelves. A big bay window, my favorite. Curtains only at the top so as not to spoil the view, and the view is lovely. It’s just getting light out there. Sky blue-pink with silhouettes of trees.

As I sit, waiting for the house to wake up, I’m feeling melancholy. I have had these scares too, wondering if I’ll make it, worrying about everyone without me. They’ll be fine. She knows it. I know it. It’s us who need to get things in order to leave with a clear mind.

But not today, for either of us. So, yippee!
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2308657-Yippee