*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2308730-The-Story
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2308730
Flash Fiction
The Story

Finishing his scary story, Dad said, “Nobody ever saw them again.” He looked at Jimmy and Jack, expecting something...

He tried again, “And nobody ever saw them again…” still nothing. Thinking it wasn’t understandable for a four-year-old, and six-year-old he tried a different way. “And they disappeared…”

Jimmy kind of squinted, then he asked, “Where did they go?”

“Nobody knows…” Dad said in his not too scary, but scary voice.

Jack popped up, “So they couldn’t find the street sign?” He’d been asking both parents to read him street names lately.

“No… they disappeared!” Dad said trying to get back on track.

“Were they magicians? Mom says it’s tricks, but maybe it was real magic!”

“Exactly!” Dad said, getting tangled in the conversation, but thinking maybe this could straighten it out. “Real magic!”

“Did they come back with cake and ice cream?” Jimmy blurted.

“What are you talking about?” Dad asked, completely confused.

“They always have cake and ice cream at parties with magic people. Remember when we went to Alex’s birthday? There was a magic man and cake!”

“They were not at a party, they were being chased by dragons, remember? How did this get to a party?”

“We’re having a party?” Jack yelled smiling. “Do we get cake and ice cream too?”

Dad sighed. He’d thought he was doing pretty well.

When Mom got home, she immediately noticed the dishes by the sink. “You gave them cake, and ice cream?” she asked.

“It snuck up on me… I was telling them a story and then suddenly I seem to have offered them cake and ice cream,” Dad said.

“And that’s why I don’t ask you to babysit very often,” Mom said, as she left the room.

Dad actually smirked… the truth was, he kinda knew that…
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2308730-The-Story