*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2309274-Walk-a-Mile-in-Someone-Elses-Shoes
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #2309274
Hunger is real in America, and so is homelessness. This man, Mr. E., was both.
People say it, and I say it too -- "...walk a mile in someone else's shoes!"

You don't have to walk a mile in anyone's shoes to see, feel, and understand their struggle or suffering. You just have to pay attention and be sensitive.

Last night, as my granddaughter Tatiyana Miles sat in my living room, someone came up to The Front Porch Ministries (TFPM) and started looking for food. I instantly knew that someone needed food, and there was none out there to be had. Looking outside, I saw this man who looked so hurt and disappointed that there was no food turn away to leave.

As he walked slowly toward the sidewalk, my head said, what if that was you?

My mouth screamed, "Wait a minute, I'll be right there!" He stopped. I opened the door and "stupidly" asked, "Are you looking for food?" Of course, he's looking for food. Otherwise, why is he there? He said, "Ma'am, I am starving!"

I had food, plenty of it. Why should he leave hungry because there was no food delivered to The Front Porch Ministries (TFPM) yesterday? So, I asked him to wait, went flying to the kitchen, and put together a bag of food that hopefully would last him a few days, keeping in mind that he looked like he had a place to cook the food. So, I gave him food that would not spoil, did not require heating even if it would taste better heated, and that could be eaten right away.

I handed him the bag. He looked inside, immediately took something out, and started eating it. He was cramming his mouth so fast I thought he was going to choke. After he ate some of the food, he left, and I thought he is going to need something to drink. So, I ran back to the door screaming, "Come back!" He came back, and I gave him some water, V* juice, and a ginger beer. His eyes lit up. He left.

As he walked away and I returned to my granddaughter, I thought, "Lord, what if that was her out there? Would someone be kind enough to feed her? What if it was me or any other member of my family? Or would they look at him, see his dirty clothes, hoodie on his head, his blackness, etc., and never even open the door?

I am from Georgia, and we would never turn anyone away. I know I live in the DMV, and you are supposed to be scared of everyone and your shadow, but for the love of me, I can't do it. I silently prayed for my safety and explained to Tatiyana Miles why I had to do it.

She smiled her beautiful smile and reminded me to be careful and safe.

After she left, I ate my dinner and hoped that Mr. E -- that is not his real name, but the name he gave me when I could not pronounce his name. I added the Mr. when I said goodnight and saw his eyes sparkle for me just calling him Mr.

No, I would not wish to walk a mile in Mr. E's shoes, and I am disturbed that in a Country that spends billions feeding others, we have people in our community who need The Front Porch Ministries!

Praying for more resources for The Front Porch Ministries (TFPM) so that no one coming to get food will ever leave hungry.
© Copyright 2023 G. B. Williams (mgmiles01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2309274-Walk-a-Mile-in-Someone-Elses-Shoes