*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2309876-Changes
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #2309876
Flash Fiction
Changes

Joe was in the living room when Susan ran in, frantic.

“Honey!” he said, panicked too, “What’s wrong?”

“Mom just called, she’s on her way over!”

Relaxing, Joe added, “Don't you usually meet her at her house?”

Grabbing dirty dishes Susan said, “She wants to go to Donatello’s. She said it’s easier to go from here since it’s in the other direction.”

“Oh that’s true…” Joe said, still confused, but willing to let it go because it was Saturday. There was a new workout session he’d been wanting to try, but without Susan watching, in case he looked like a idiot.

“Joe!” Susan yelled, “My mother is coming over, here… in here! This place is a mess!”

Joe actually looked around for the first time, it was a mess. It was more than a mess! The living room looked like a closet being gone through, crap and piles everywhere. Susan’s mother was the proverbially neat freak. Her house always looked like the cleaning crew just left.

“Oh…” he said.

“Oh nothing! Get up! I’ll do the bathroom and kitchen, you do this!”

Joe popped up, this was serious business, especially to Susan!

They managed to get things better, enough, before Mom arrived. She bustled in, looking around as usual… and then had to use the bathroom, of course.

As she came out, thankfully all she said was “Let’s go! I don’t want to miss the good stuff at the sale!”

Susan and Joe exchanged happy sighs as Susan left with Mom. Joe looked around, it looked good, but no new workout today… he was suddenly very tired!

And that was the day Joe himself became a clean freak. After that, the house was always clean. And… Joe never had to do a workout again to stay fit!
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2309876-Changes