*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2309992-Christmas-Wishes
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2309992
Flash Fiction
Christmas Wishes

“Finally time to get Christmas going! I would decorate in September and take it down in April if I had my way, of course, I don’t.

Living in Massachusetts, we have a pretty good sense of winter, and, of course, Thanksgiving too, very big here. But just because that happened here doesn’t mean every resident loves it. Most people love Thanksgiving because of the meal. Frankly, I don’t even cook, and if I did, it wouldn’t be turkey…

Christmas! Christmas tree, Christmas wreath, Christmas cookies! You don’t even have to cook to love Christmas, there’s food everywhere! I love the food and the trees and the lights and the figures on the front lawn, everything! It takes all the grumpy out of winter.

I know there are lots of people who love winter. Insane people who apparently never get cold or something. My only love for winter is Christmas comes in winter! The snow is pretty, yes, but I can watch that on TV or look at pictures. Well, making a snowman is fun… till your fingers freeze and the jerk next door props an empty bottle of rum on it’s arm and your neighbor calls the police… but yes, snow can be fun, and beautiful, but never as beautiful as Christmas lights, and wreathes, and presents, and cookies! Christmas rocks!”

“Jane,“ he interrupted, “Where exactly did you live in Massachusetts?”

“Forty-seven Dunbar Street. You didn’t think I’d remember did you!”

“I did think you’d remember. But Forty-seven Dunbar Street is here, at the hospital.”

“So?”

“So, do you remember we’re in Florida? No snow.”

“Which is why Christmas is so much nicer!!”

“And it’s July…”

“Oh… Well, only five more months till Christmas!”

“I’ll see you tomorrow, OK?”

“Maybe it will snow!”

“Maybe it will…” Dr. Trent said, smiling.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2309992-Christmas-Wishes