*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2310942-Nuclear-Winter-part-one
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2310942
After global devastation a new hope and disaster are brewing in the Antarctic wastelands.
         It all started on that fateful day, all nuclear materials and substances simultaneously exploded, making less than eighty percent of land inhabitable: A Full Blown Nuclear Winter. Even in areas with no nuclear materials to be found that Nuclear Winter reached…

         It started as a small group of ice dust and water floating up in the sky that grouped up and slowly became heavier and when it could no longer stay together it fell down blessing the desolate frozen desert of Antarctica with further stock to its already endless supply. But this was no ordinary shipment, a cloud hundreds of kilometers in diameter carrying enough radiation to make chernobyl look like a fetus compared to a blue whale in comparison.
          Snowflakes slowly started to compile and combine, even among the clouds snowball formed and tiny pieces of clothing compiled carried magically thousands of miles away from their origin. Each piece crafted with or without love and human affection and touch, now torn, yet that love and affection or lack thereof compiled as well slowly bringing into existence a conglomerate hive mind of implausibility. Something that shouldn’t exist, Something to give the laws of nature a huge middle-finger to the face, something given life by the death and enslavement of the human spirits found deep within itself, and something behind all still shrouding itself from scrutiny.
          The conglomerate formed as a shadowy core and fell down from the sky like Icarus but with a plague to bring back alongside death and a lesson…
          A sound reminiscent of a tea kettle could be heard for miles around as the black comet continued on its course toward the antarctic. When it landed it made no sound, no reaction visible in the air but the ground once so solid reverted back in time until it was water and snow as it had always been before, slowly coalescing around the tainted orb. The air slowly became colder and colder until it became liquid and then colder still until each and every oxygen molecule within a two kilometer radius was frozen solid, an invisible wall of death, there for the sole purpose of welcoming every single soul to death's icy mansion.

          About five kilometers out there was a small research squad designated to study the air trapped within its icy prison and look at the amount of carbon over the years and a secondary mission of looking for preserved animals. It had been one week since their mandatory progress report should’ve happened yet no one had communicated with them for over a month so they assumed it was a minor delay due to some trouble finding their radio signal or something broke back at HQ. On this particular day Igor, the lead researcher, decided to go on a solo mission roughly three-and-a-half kilometers out to investigate an icy cave that from their scout drones surveillance seemed to be promising… mostly for their secondary mission.
          Upon entering a frigid wind blasted throughout the cave, leaving the temperature several degrees colder than before but Igor was a seasoned researcher; he felt the change but paid it no mind. He heard something reminiscent of a tea kettle and wondered if Itasha got worried about his health and managed to damage yet another drone trying to check in on him. But as he turned around to look at whatever was making that sound he found a carving indented deeply into the ice which was strangely preserved considering ice melting and refreezing at certain seasons. It depicted a serpent like being with what Igor assumed to be shadows because of the charred wood placed into the etchings standing alongside what seemed to be a human swathed in light with four other beings further in the background with humans kneeling to their pantheon of gods. "Itasha, if only you could see this," he spoke into his spotty radio communication device. "It is beautiful, a work of art even Picasso or Da vinci would be jealous of." His previously unnoticeable scottish accent ran thick with excitement. "It's like nothin' I've ever seen it seems to be a carving in the ice dating back centuries maybe millenia depictin' the gods of 'hatever pantheon this civilization worshiped. We’ll need to come back with better equipment to document this. THis could be much bigger than any of our other goals we found the ruin of a prevusly unheard of civilization, we could be famous.”
"Igor"
"Yeah"
"Could you head back now a storm's a brewin' and it's goin' to catch you if ya' keep messing around over there so hurry ya' lazy bum outta there."
Under his breath Igor muttered, to himself while turning off his coms "Yeah my niece treats me with respect and respects my choices, why would she ever call me any names?"
As Igor packed up his equipment and got into his Skimobile his walkie-talkie turned on and Itasha's panicked voice came on shouting: "Igor that's no ordinary storm cloud that is a super storm and what's more is there is a meteor heading roughly for your exact location. GET OUT OF THERE NOW!"

         The conglomerate reached out tentatively and slowly used the water, snow and ice to form it a suitable vessel but it had no idea what a suitable vessel should look like. It sat there metaphorically, stumped on what to do when it felt something toward the edge of its death curtain. Before the human eye could even activate a single neuron it was off fast enough to make the speed of light just barely faster. Then it saw it, a strange shaped creature although the orb had never seen anything before so it knew it was not one to criticize. This would be an interesting vessel, thought the enigmatic black ball, but what is it missing.
Wait, is that Igor?
Who said that
The name is Sammy and it would appear that we’re trapped together in this intriguing ball. THough that doesn’t really roll off the tongue so I’ll call it the core. Anyways what’s yours pal?
I don’t have a name. I don't even know what I am, or where I am for that matter. It feels like I was just made now; what happened? And who is that guy, do you know him?
Yes, friend from work. It's complicated. I don’t have the best of ideas but I’m pretty sure it has to do with that nuclear superstorm and the fact that the last thing I remember was a nuclear plant blowing to the high heavens alongside myself.
So I am the result of some nuclear meltdown making a conglomerate of our two mind but unless it was a miracle or exclusive to you and me—---
There should be at least one more. Unless you--- because of your memory loss and lack of sense of self---- are in fact multiple people mixed together. Now that I think of it this is kind of like D.I.D or split personality disorder except I’m a completely different entity than you.
Let me guess major in psych in college
Wasn't me Sam
Sorry for not introducing myself earlier I'm Ezekiel and like you were mentioning earlier Sammy I myself have Dissociative Identity Disorder (can't wait till you guys meet him),and I work---- worked for a science and engineering company focusing on the effects of radiation on different objects and---even though I argued against it---animals.
Pal neither me nor Ez— it okay that I call you that?--- have a name that we can use to specify towards you. So we should probably establish one so this shell doesn’t get too confusing to be in.
Yeah Sam’s right how ‘bout Arctic at least until you remember yours or come up with a better one.
Now with a consensus on what to call the core's main personality the odd trio turned their attention to the elephant in the room.
Is he okay, Sammy asked Arctic
Yeah he should be. If I can unfreeze him. Because it’s been less than a second since that curtain I instinctively launched (sorry)touched his body he should be fine if I undo it. Should.
What’re we waitin’ for, let’s see.

Igor gasped sucking in the ice cold air like a diver just risen to the surface after hours of diving, he noticed frostbit sections of his body and looked around dazed and confused and saw a floating black sphere.
“Itasha, ya know that meteor you mentioned well I thi—-” static was the only thing audible from the radio. “Nevermind, but what is it,” Igor muttered to himself as he circled around it not expecting a reply from a familiar voice.
“Radioactive and potentially lethal” the orb shifted and rose up higher for a second before the surrounding snow gradually coalesced around it forming a marble white version down to the very last detail of Sammy. long hair slicked back into a ponytail with his mischievous grin plastered on his angular face slightly more weary than usual.
"Did I somehow manage to ingest some sort of hallucinogen within the past second or did i get hit by the meteor and go to some sick twisted game Satan decides he's gonna play on me. Sammy you buffoon get over 'ere."
"Arc this feels weird to handle and I don't fully know how to explain it mind taking the steering wheel for a while."
" Uhhm Arc? Is 'e a new employee? Nickname? Is this how you lads will be contacting us from now on or is this an experiment still in development?"
The core began to change shape rapidly changing into a tall lean but graceful man, (This is the form it gave me okay looks reasonable, not too bad.) "Anyways I hate to Inform you that no. Not an experiment. And no. Gamma labs is no longer a company and Sammy got blown sky high along with it. Before you ask the inevitable questions--- 1.)the lab blew up we have no idea why. 2). There's no computer downloading or AI generating a brain. Finally 3.) I am no piece of tech but something that was birthed from that humongous cloud that if we don't get away from now you will die.
© Copyright 2023 Sweet thistle (thistle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2310942-Nuclear-Winter-part-one