*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311926-The-Resurrection-Men
Rated: 13+ · Draft · Gothic · #2311926
Resurrectionists turn to murder to keep up with the university's demand for bodies.
He had always had a fascination with the human body. He needed to understand how it worked. Years of studying anatomy, and dissecting animals, insects, and plants had proven him studious. Reading every book, attending every lecture he could, and experimenting with each new technique he had found bolstered his knowledge of the subject. He had become one the most renowned anatomists in Edinburgh, maybe even the world. His name was Dr. Robert Knox, and his thirst for scientific knowledge would not go unquenched.

But this passion had a heavy toll to pay. To learn more, he needed bodies, more bodies even than he was able to procure himself. He felt that he needed to explore every organ, tissue, nerve, and bone before he could consider that he'd done enough. He needed to see how all these functioned. He had to know how each piece interacted, and how they differed from one another. He desired to be the one who discovered the very secrets of life and death themselves.

He did not care how he got the bodies. Nor did he much care how they died. He cared not one whit if they were young or old. He cared not if they were male or female. Rich or poor, it mattered not. He knew each had families, friends, and dreams., but he had no concern. He felt no uneasiness for their souls. The only thing of theirs that mattered to him was their anatomy.

He had a reliable supplier, that provided him with fresh and intact corpses. Corpses with not many noticeable wounds and no corruption of decay were best. He paid very well for them, with unblemished bodies bringing a higher price. He found them reputable enough to do their job. In return, they trusted him to do his. They were William Burke and William Hare, and they had a dark and deadly business.
© Copyright 2024 E. Scott Ieppert (ieppert at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311926-The-Resurrection-Men