*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311925-Plot-and-characters-The-Resurrection-Men
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Dark · #2311925
Resurrectionists turn to murder to keep up with the college's demand for bodies.
Plot.

In the dark and foggy streets of Victorian London, two resurrection men, Burke and Hare, prowl the graveyards and morgues for fresh corpses to sell to the medical school of the University of London. They are paid handsomely by Dr. Knox, a brilliant but ruthless anatomist who is obsessed with advancing his knowledge of human anatomy.

However, as the demand for bodies increases, Burke and Hare find it harder to obtain enough cadavers to satisfy Dr. Knox. They decide to take matters into their own hands and start murdering unsuspecting victims, such as prostitutes, beggars, and travelers. They use various methods to kill their prey, such as suffocation, poisoning, and stabbing. They then deliver the bodies to Dr. Knox, who does not ask any questions about their origin.

Their scheme goes on for months, until one day, they are discovered by a suspicious policeman, who follows them to their hideout and finds evidence of their crimes. He arrests them and brings them to justice. Burke and Hare are hanged for their murders, and their bodies are donated to the medical school for dissection.

Chapter outline

Chapter 1: Introduction
- Introduce the setting of Victorian London, the social and scientific context, and the main characters of Burke and Hare, who are resurrection men.
- Show how they obtain corpses from graveyards and morgues, and how they sell them to Dr. Knox, who is a renowned anatomist at the University of London.
- Establish the conflict between the demand for bodies and the scarcity of supply, and the moral dilemma of Burke and Hare.

Chapter 2: The First Murder
- Burke and Hare decide to resort to murder to obtain fresh bodies and choose a prostitute as their first victim.
- They lure her to their lodging, where they suffocate her with a pillow, and then strip her of her belongings and clothes.
- They deliver the body to Dr. Knox, who pays them well and praises their work.

Chapter 3: The Killing Spree
- Burke and Hare become addicted to the money and thrill of killing and start murdering more people, such as beggars, travelers, and street performers.
- They use different methods to kill their victims, such as poisoning, stabbing, and drowning.
- They also become more careless and reckless, leaving behind clues and witnesses.

Chapter 4: The Suspicion
- A policeman named Inspector Abberline becomes suspicious of Burke and Hare and starts investigating their activities.
- He follows them to the graveyards and morgues and notices that they always carry large sacks with them.
- He also interviews some of the people who knew their victims and finds out that they were last seen with Burke and Hare.

Chapter 5: The Discovery
- Inspector Abberline raids Burke and Hare's lodging, and finds evidence of their crimes, such as bloodstains, weapons, and personal items of their victims.
- He also finds a ledger that records their transactions with Dr. Knox, and the names and dates of their murders.
- He arrests Burke and Hare and takes them to the police station.

Chapter 6: The Trial
- Burke and Hare are put on trial for their murders and face public outrage and condemnation.
- Dr. Knox is also summoned to testify and is exposed as an accomplice and a beneficiary of their crimes.
- He denies any knowledge or involvement and claims that he was only interested in the scientific value of the bodies.
- The jury finds Burke and Hare guilty and sentences them to death by hanging.

Chapter 7: The Execution
- Burke and Hare are hanged in front of a large crowd, who cheer and jeer at them.
- Their bodies are then taken to the medical school, where they are dissected by Dr. Knox and his students.
- Dr. Knox makes a final remark on the irony and justice of their fate and continues his research on human anatomy.


Characters

Burke: A cunning and greedy man who is the mastermind behind the murders. He is originally from Ireland but moved to London to seek fortune. He is charismatic and persuasive and often convinces Hare to follow his plans. He has a dark sense of humor and enjoys killing his victims. He is not loyal to anyone and would betray Hare or Dr. Knox if it suited him.

Hare: A timid and nervous man who is Burke's partner in crime. He is also from Ireland but has a weaker accent than Burke. He is easily influenced by Burke and often goes along with his schemes. He is more squeamish and remorseful about killing, but also more fearful of being caught. He is dependent on Burke and trusts him blindly.

Dr. Knox: A brilliant and ruthless anatomist who is the main buyer of the corpses. He is a respected and influential figure in the medical field and has a reputation for being a pioneer and a visionary. He is obsessed with advancing his knowledge of human anatomy and does not care about the ethics or legality of his sources. He is cold and arrogant and treats his students and colleagues with disdain.

Inspector Abberline: A diligent and honest policeman who is in charge of investigating the murders. He is a veteran of the force and has a keen eye for detail and a strong sense of justice. He is determined to catch Burke and Hare and expose Dr. Knox's involvement. He is brave and resourceful and does not give up easily.
© Copyright 2024 E. Scott Ieppert (ieppert at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311925-Plot-and-characters-The-Resurrection-Men