*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312223-Pippins-Milk-Run
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #2312223
A short story written for young children. Any constructive feedback is always appreciated.
Momma Ginger, the tabby cat, stood in the kitchen preparing oatmeal for her kittens. After emptying the packets into three bowls, she placed them on the table.

Once the table was set, she called with a loud voice to the top of the stairs. Pippen and his sister and brother, Mittens and Litten, all tossed and groaned in their beds. The sun had barely begun to rise, and they all felt it was too early.

When they didn't come down the stairs, Momma Ginger called once more.

"Kittens, breakfast is almost ready," she chimed.

This time, with some reluctance, the kittens all pulled themselves out of bed, put on their morning clothes, and made their way downstairs.

"Good morning, kittens," said Momma Ginger.

"Good morning, Momma," the kittens said all at once.

Picking their seats, they sat at the table while Momma Ginger went to the fridge to find some milk.

"Oh dear," said Momma Ginger, her face looking quite upset.

"What's wrong?" asked Pippin. He was a little calico with orange and black ears and a stubby tail.

"It looks like we are all out of milk," said Momma Ginger.

Litten and Mittens, who had both been half-asleep until now, both made loud gasps.

"But how are we supposed to eat our oatmeal without milk!" exclaimed Mittens, her face looking rather worried. She was a little black kitten with a white face and long whiskers.

"We'll just have to eat our oatmeal without it," said Momma Ginger.

"But that's gross," continued Mittens, and she squinted her eyes and stuck out her tongue in disgust.

"Yeah, that's gross," Litten repeated. He was a little grey kitten with black stripes.

"I'm sorry, kittens, but I don't have time to go to the store today," said Momma Ginger.

Pippin, who had been watching everything from his seat, was suddenly struck with an idea.

"How about I go to the store for you? I'm big enough now," he said.

Momma Ginger smiled.

"That's a wonderful idea," said Momma Ginger, and she handed Pippin some coins.

Pippin then began his journey to the store.

Along the way, Pippin saw his friend Bully, an English bulldog with a scrunched-up nose and a light brown patch around his eye. He was busy riding his red bike in circles around the front of his house.

Bully pulled over his bike and stopped in front of Pippin.

"Hey, Pippin. Would you like to go for a ride on my new bike?" asked Bully.

Pippin shook his head. As much as he loved bikes, especially riding them, he had a job to do.

"I can't today, Bully. I have to go to the store to buy some milk for Momma," said Pippin.

Bully's face grew sad.

"OK," said Bully.

"Hey. Would you like to come with me?" asked Pippin.

Bully's ears perked up.

"Sure! But I have to ask my mom first," said Bully.

Pippin nodded and waited for Bully to return.

At the store, Pippin and Bully were greeted by the store owner, Mr. Rabbit.

Mr. Rabbit was wearing a white apron and was placing apples inside a basket.

"Hello, boys. What are you up to today?" asked Mr. Rabbit.

"We're here by ourselves to buy some milk for Momma Ginger," explained Bully.

Mr. Rabbit smiled.

"Well, you boys have fun," said Mr. Rabbit, and he handed them both an apple.

Pippin and Bully thanked him, then headed into the store.

Mr. Rabbit's store had all kinds of items. There were shelves upon shelves of colorful boxes, and freezers filled with delicious yogurt and tasty ice cream. It all looked so wonderful that Pippin and Bully didn't know where to start.

As they made their way toward the yogurts where the dairy items were kept, they heard someone crying.

"It sounds like someone is in trouble," said Bully.

Pippin nodded.

"Let's go investigate," said Pippin.

At the bakery, they spotted Lilly, an orange fuzzy kitten with a pink bow in her fur.

She was Mr. Calico's daughter, their teacher, and she was crying very loudly.

Pippin and Bully walked over to her.

"What's wrong?" asked Pippin.

Lilly looked up; her face still covered in tears. She was a lot younger than Pippin and Bully.

"I lost my favorite toy, and I can't seem to find it anywhere," said Lilly, her pink nose sniffling.

Pippin placed a paw on Lilly's shoulder.

"Don't worry. We'll help you find it," said Pippin.

Lilly shot up.

"You will? Oh, thank you so much!" shouted Lilly, and she placed her arms around Pippin.

"So, what does your toy look like?" asked Bully.

"It's a bright purple airplane with white daisies painted on the sides," said Lilly.

"Where did you last see it?" asked Pippin.

Lilly couldn't remember.

"I think I left it by the cereal boxes," said Lilly.

"Okay. Then that's where we'll start," said Pippin.

All three then headed toward the cereal aisle of the store.

Once they reached their destination, they began searching high and low. They peered under boxes, over boxes, and everywhere in between. Pippin even lifted Lilly onto his shoulders to see if the plane had landed somewhere high on the shelves.

With the plane nowhere in sight, they stopped a nearby clerk and asked if she had seen a lost toy. When the clerk said no, they moved on to the other sections of the store.

After finding nothing in the candy aisle, and with Bully wanting to eat every chocolate in sight, they made their way toward the back of the store and stood feeling defeated.

"It's no use. We're never going to find it," said Lilly, and it looked as if she was going to start crying again.

At that moment, Mrs. Fox stepped out from the bathrooms and walked past them. That was when Lilly jumped up.

"Oh yeah! I remember now!" said Lilly excitedly, and she ran towards the bathrooms.

Both Pippin and Bully looked at each other and shrugged.

Seconds later, Lilly returned, holding a bright purple airplane with white daisies.

"I forgot I brought it with me when I went to the bathroom earlier. It was there the whole time!" exclaimed Lilly, and she held the airplane close and zoomed it around in the air.

Pippin and Bully both felt relieved.

"Thank you both for your help. I don't think I would have remembered if you both hadn't been here with me," said Lilly.

She hugged them both, then left to find her mom who was still shopping.

Afterward, Pippin and Bully began walking towards the checkout.

"I'm really glad we were able to help Lilly," said Bully.

"I am too. It was like we were heroes!" said Pippin.

They were about to leave the store when Pippin suddenly remembered.

"We forgot the milk!" said Pippin.

Pippin and Bully hurried back to the dairy aisle. They quickly grabbed a carton of milk and then waited in line at the front of the store. When it was finally their turn, Pippin handed the cashier the coins that Momma Ginger had given him. He and Bully then headed for home.

As they reached their street, Pippin said goodbye to Bully. He then sprinted the rest of the way to bring Momma Ginger the milk.

"How was the trip to the store?" Momma Ginger asked. Pippin showed her the carton of milk.

"It went well, Momma. Bully and I even helped Lilly find her plane," said Pippin.

"How exciting. I'm very proud of you," said Momma Ginger, and she gave him a big hug.

She then took the milk that Pippin had brought her and poured it into the three bowls of oatmeal.

The kittens sat down once more, and then they all ate breakfast happily together.
© Copyright 2024 Coffeebean (coffeebeanbab3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312223-Pippins-Milk-Run