*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312616-Lumberjack
Rated: E · Fiction · Nature · #2312616
Michael's first day on the job
“I saw the whole thing.” Jethro grunted. “And then, you listening boy? I attach this here chain to the log and hook it up to Ole Blue, who drags it down that there hill, to the mill. Purty simple, even for a greenhorn, I reckon.”

The skeptical stare had Michael doubting himself already, but he snapped his suspenders and tried to look like he knew what he was doing. As Jethro muttered and took long steps back to town for his midday meal, Michael hefted the old saw. It felt uncomfortable and heavy in his hand. He glanced around, trying to decide on the first tree to fell. Ole Blue stamped a foot, as if impatiently urging the boy to hurry up and get on with it.

“All right, Blue. I’m a-goin’.” Michael set the saw against a tall pine. The teeth had barely cut into the bark when the scream startled him. As expected, the wood nymph materialized. Spreading her arms wide, her nostrils flaring, she tried to block the mighty pine.

Michael sighed and gritted his teeth. He had been warned this would happen. He’d even witnessed it himself, when Jethro ruthlessly downed the old oaks. It was different when he was the one staring down the beautiful creature. Sappy tears ran down the nymph’s cheeks and Michael felt his resolve waiver.

“Please,” she begged. “If you spare us, we will grant you every desire of your heart!”

“Us?” Michael was confused until he looked around and found himself surrounded by dozens of dryads, each guarding a tree. Their magic swirled in his head, making him dizzy. Dropping the saw, he suddenly understood why the loggers had lost so many men over the years. He tentatively took the nymph’s green hand and allowed himself to be pulled away.



Extras
© Copyright 2024 Genipher (geniphery at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312616-Lumberjack