*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313161-Its-the-End-of-the-World-as-We-Know-It
Rated: E · Fiction · Music · #2313161
2 brothers, living in a world of darkness
My brother always said there was nothing outside the darkness, but I refused to believe him. He acted like a know-it-all but, just like me, he had never left the security of our abode. So there must be a chance he was wrong.

"Perhaps we're not the only living souls in this desolate world," I hoped aloud.

"Of course we are," he sneered.

"How do you know?" I asked, feeling unusually cross. He seemed to take delight in making me lose my cheerful confidence, and laughed.

"I just do. It's the only thing that makes sense. And you're a fool to believe otherwise," he said, and then spent the rest of the day brooding.

"Listen" I said one morning. Or, at least, I assumed it was morning. Without a shred of light, it was often hard to tell the time of day. "Listen!" I repeated. "I think I hear a voice!"

"It's the wind," was the scoffing response. "If I've told you once, I've told you a million times! We're alone and we'll stay alone until this world finally crushes us and we die."

"But —"

"Leave me alone," he grumbled. "It's not worth speaking of again."

After that, time melded together. It got to where I couldn't tell which way was up or down. There were occasional murmurs in the wind but I didn't dare mention them again to my brother. Instead, I just relished in the hope that he must be wrong. There had to be life somewhere past the darkness. If only I was brave enough to seek it.

And then, suddenly, there was a change. A strange pressure bore down on us.

"See!" he cried. "I told you! It's the end of the world!"

Despair crushed my heart. I couldn't believe he was right all along. My hopes and dreams for a better future had been meaningless fancy...a waste of precious time. I was about to let the sorrow burrow into my very being when I saw it...a glimpse of light.

"Look!" I gasped. "It's so bright and beautiful!"

My brother shuddered. "Our world is cracking!" he moaned. "We'll be shattered into pieces!"

"I think..." I paused, grunting as the pressure squeezed against me. I squinted as the light grew brighter. "I think it's a portal to another dimension!"

"How...how do you know?" My brother whispered. I could hear the fear in his voice. I laughed.

"I just do. It's the only thing that makes sense."

Before he had a chance to instill any doubt in my heart, I dove forward. I could feel his hand on my heel as we sped closer and closer to the light until all of a sudden, I was through.

The light was intense. I had to squeeze my eyes shut. I had expected warmth, but the new world was cold. I heard a voice and I immediately recognized it...the wind, but not the wind! I opened my eyes and there she was, my lifesource. She smiled and kissed my head. A moment later she repeated the actions with my brother who, being his usual crabby self, was screaming with rage.

I waited til he calmed down and made eye contact.

"I suppose you were right," I said telepathically. "It was the end of the world but it was also the start of something new. I have a feeling things are gonna be pretty great, after all that waiting."

He couldn't argue with me, he knew I was right. Also, he'd fallen asleep. I understood. Being born is tiresome work.


(And I Feel Fine)

© Copyright 2024 Genipher (geniphery at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313161-Its-the-End-of-the-World-as-We-Know-It