*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312670-Athlete-Revisited
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Writing.Com · #2312670
Won an award as a couple of acrostic poems, re-written as a story.
What is it about sport that makes a human being super-human? The struggle, the progress, the achievement, the victory. The applause, the recognition.

More than anything, it seems to be the pushing of oneself to the limit. And then pushing some more, to extend the limit ... and then some and then some.

What limit?

Physical. Intellectual. Emotional.

Like when Pete Sampras heard his beloved coach had been diagnosed with a brain tumor. And he was out there, pitted against Jim Courier in the quarter-final.

Two sets to love down, he was, and in tears for the man he revered who was now ill.

Crying, wiping his face on his towel. Crying, unable to take his stance to serve.

"Do it for your coach!" came a cry from the crowd.

And Jim Courier asked if he was okay, or did he want to do this the next day.

And he was okay. He took his stance, her served.

An ace, followed by another.

He won the match to a standing ovation.

Human victory over adversity, for Pete. The victory of the sporting spirit over the competitive spirit, for his opponent. The victory of what is highest in human nature over any lesser instinct.

Those two were the ultimate heroes that day.


Prompt and link to earlier item
© Copyright 2024 THANKFUL SONALI 17 WDC YEARS! (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312670-Athlete-Revisited