*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313003-The-Mailbox-Incident
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #2313003
Flash Fiction
The Mailbox Incident.

Broken foot. Walking with a cast and crutches, no driving, dependent on everyone who can drive, for six weeks! And even then iffy.. the doctor could say “A couple more weeks…” in which case I might strangle him…

Add snow. My one foot on the ground, two crutches holding me up, and hoping to miss any ice? Plus add if I slip, everyone is at work. I’d crawl back, or freeze to death. I’m not sure which would be more embarrassing…

The problem being, I need to get this check in the mail today. Easy enough, put it in the mailbox and the mail person takes it away! Right? However, let’s add the broken foot, crutches, and last night’s icy storm.

It’s over but it’s still very cold out there. It’s a group mailbox for the apartments in this corner and of course it faces outward so the mail person can easily get into the boxes. I can’t walk out there.

Suddenly I had an epiphany! I’m a pretty good archer, I could stick the letter on my arrow and use my bow to shoot it out to the mailbox! Even if it’s not exactly “in” the box, I bet the mail person would take it. I did it!

I think it was a case of too much pain medicine… I failed to notice the mail truck pulling up and the arrow went right through his, now open, window, fortunately missing his nose by sheer luck. He came over yelling his head off!!

That’s how I found out how potent casts and crutches are, and add tears... He ended up taking my letter, handing me my mail and wishing me a speedy recovery.

Isn’t life weird!
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313003-The-Mailbox-Incident