*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313467-Such-is-Life
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2313467
Flash Fiction
Such is Life

Andy stood in the doorway looking at the chaos in the room. He and Jared were told they couldn’t go out to play until the room was “cleaned up.”

Jared ran right down to get started while Andy got the broom, but as Andy got there, and looked in, their room was about sixty times messier! “What are you doing!” he finally yelled.

Jared looked up, “I’m cleaning our room…”

“It’s worse than it already was! What are you doing?”

“I’m gathering and sorting.”

“What does that mean even?”

“Don’t worry. “It is all part of my plan. I learned this from Eric.”

“Eric? I thought you said Eric’s mother always cleaned his room.”

“I thought she did because it’s always clean, but he told me he did it. It’s apparently a trick he learned from his mother.”

“A trick?”

“Yeah. He said first you get all your stuff into categories.”

“What’s a category?”

“You know, cars and trucks all together, art stuff in a different place, but all together…”

“Oh. We can do that.”

“Yes, then when you play, all you need to do is put the stuff back in the ‘category’ place and it all looks neat.”

“OK…” Andy jumped in and started helping.

Years later they still had a fairly clean room, thanks to Eric’s teachings. However, all the actual ‘work’ was pretty much done daily by Andy.

Jared grew up and started a “Self Help” business where he gave seminars on various subjects, teaching other people to be efficient in their work. Andy grew up and started an office cleaning business. It was a huge success.

Eric grew up. That was pretty much all the success he managed because he was always waiting for somebody to tell him what to do.

Such is life.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313467-Such-is-Life