*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313678-The-Gambler
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2313678
This is a story about two small-timers and the big score.
"You never count your money in front of the mark, buddy," said Zachary, holding a bottle of spritzer. "I can see you're out of aces, too."
"I had to count it, though," said Brian. "Remember last time when I got tricked and lost a hundred? I'm still getting joked about that."
"You'd better know when to run. Know when you're ahead."
Brian was new to the Slim Gym Gang on the west side of Portobello City in Oregon. He'd been studying his craft intently, thinking of all the ways the one could, or could not, reap the big rewards. The roar of the heater in the next room was a welcome reminder of how far they had come. It used to be that their lair was unheated in winter. Now look at them. First came the interior heat, then later would come plumbing.
"I know when I'm ahead," said Brian. "It's just that I get nervous is all."
"I know what your issue is. You need to know when to hold them."
"What does that even mean? What does that mean?"
"It means that if the money is in your hand then you have to keep up with it. You can't..."
Suddenly, a red dot appeared on Brian's forehead. It was rather bright and conspicuous. And it was moving. Brian had no idea, and so he stood there, awaiting his reply.
"What? What happened? Do I have food in my teeth?"
"Yes, you have food in your teeth," said Zachary, quickly shooing him out of the room and into the main living room. It wasn't that big, but it was furnished. Brian was noticeably shaken. He had not been "out there" in such a way before. Before, he'd always had an escape route, whether it was another person or official cover. But this was something new and exciting. Interesting, one could say.
"Look, Zack."
"Don't call me Zack! This place could be bugged! Only use code names."
"Look, Basket, I don't think this is working out. There has to be something that I'm missing."
"Really? What is it that you think you're missing? What do you think we could do that would make you feel more at home?"
Suddenly, Zachary looked down to see that there were two glowing red dots on his hands and one traveling up his arm to his head.
"Dang fireflies," said Brian.
"What?"
"I said dang fireflies. They're always following me around."
"It's the middle of January and we're indoors."
"I know. They usually come when I'm in the shower."
"Look, Babyface."
"No, my name is Brian."
"No, your codename is Babyface. Now look here, Babyface, we need to keep our wits about us and..."
Suddenly, there was a knock at the front door. Brian and Zachary both turned around, incredulous.
"Who is it?" said Zachary.
"It's the cops! Open up!"
"Uh, we, uh, don't believe you. Go away."
"Well, open the door and we'll prove it."
"I don't know, they sound serious," said Brian.
© Copyright 2024 John Andrew Jenkins (johnjenkins at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313678-The-Gambler