*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313751-The-Flannel-Umbrella
Rated: E · Fiction · Comedy · #2313751
Carla gets another bright idea
It was a cold and rainy February 10th when Carla got the idea. As anyone who knows Carla can tell you, her fashion muse always wakes up when it is cold and rainy. Those are the days she always gets her most unusual and controversial ideas.

Turning to her housemate, she smiled and said, "Clyde, I need an umbrella and nine yards of flannel. Can you go to the fabric store and get them for me?" She opened her wallet, removed her debit card, and handed it to him. "And while you are at it, bring us something good to eat for lunch."

Clyde raised his right eyebrow, nodded, and took the debit card. I wonder what she's up to this time. He knew better than to ask her, because Carla's explanation would make no sense and it would delay lunch. He put on his warmest black hoodie and left the house.

Four hours later, Clyde returned with the requested items and two prime rib dinners for a local casino. Clara took the umbrella and flannel material into the sewing room, while Clyde set the dining room table. After setting the table, he went to the liquor cabinet and removed a bottle of Jack Daniel's. "I don't know what she's up to," he whispered. "But I'm fairly sure I'll need a good stiff drink not to laugh."

He set the Jack Daniel's on the table and went into the kitchen. He removed a pitcher of iced tea from the refrigerator. Back in the dining room, he poured tea into Carla's glass and Jack Daniel's into his, and went to the closed door of the sewing room. He knocked on the door before opening it. "How long are you going to be?"

"I'm coming out now. It isn't completely finished. I still have to stitch the flannel permanently to the umbrella. But you can get a good idea of what it will look like."

"Well," she opened the umbrella, "what do you think? Is this going to make us a million dollars?"

He stared, mouth agape. "You know, Clara, opening an umbrella in the house is bad luck." Went to the table and began to eat.


WC: 367

© Copyright 2024 Prosperous Snow celebrating (nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313751-The-Flannel-Umbrella