*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313773-Invisible-Threads--Chapter-09
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Thriller/Suspense · #2313773
The continuation of Invisible Threads--Book One of The Anomaly Series

Writer's Note: Please read the previous chapters and prologue of Invisible Threads before reading this.


CHAPTER NINE


Philip Sessa, field producer for Superstar films, was finished with the interview of Dr. Lecki and was not happy. He called Cherie and Gary in Lecki's office as soon as the professor had stormed out.

"We got nothing. The guy didn't say anything that wasn't sarcastic, passive-aggressive, or just mean. Does he like you at all?"

Gary shrugged, "No."

It was odd to be standing in Lecki's office with the professor not there. There was constant motion as cameras and lights were being folded up and put away. It was distracting.

"Then why did you give us his name?"

"You asked for someone that knew me well and would talk about me. He's it."

Philip looked to Cherie. "We need something better than this."

Cherie rounded on Gary. "You mentioned that your mother is ill. How sick is she? Maybe we could use that."

Gary looked up from the floor and briefly into her eyes. "Maybe we could what?"

Cherie frowned. "Okay... not great wording. But how sick is she? Really?"

Gary looked from Cherie to Philip and then back to Cherie. He touched her arm. "Can we talk a minute?"

She allowed him to lead her down the hall to his office. Gary shut the door after they entered.

"No, we cannot use my mother," His voice was strained.

"Is it that bad? Is she comatose or something?"

"No, it's psychiatric. She's heavily medicated and it just wouldn't work."

"Could she stop taking her meds for a day or two?"

Gary's teeth ground together but he kept his voice even. "Not an option. Maybe we just go forward without an interview."

"We need to show America a version of you that they can identify with. What about that guy in your office, Phang?"

He thought for a second. "You don't know him very well. Phang's sense of humor is... problematic."

There were no other options. Her mind raced trying to come up with something. It was like a wheel spinning round and round. Where she stops nobody knows. Then it stopped. Oh crap.

She gave herself one more moment before opening her mouth and making this real. "Then there's only one idea left and you owe me big time."

Cherie stepped forward and stood directly in front of Gary. Putting one hand on each of his shoulders, she leaned forward on her tip-toes and closed her eyes. She fell short. Tip-toes and all, her lips were about 8 inches lower than Gary's.

She opened one eye. "A little help here."

Gary stepped back. "What are you doing?"

"I'm trying to kiss you."

"Why?!"

She had intended to make a dramatic point but the moment was lost, "We will give America your girlfriend. No... your fianc"

"I don't have either one of those things."

"How dense are you? I am saying that I will be your fiancfor the interviews."

"You're not my fianc" His tone was a little more panicked than either of them would have liked.

"You know that. And I know that. But America doesn't know that. We have to figure out how we're going to do this."

"We're not. The Superstar people don't want us to make something up. They said that they want a real story that can stand up against fact checks."

"I am sure they do. But they won't know either."

"Of course, they will! They know you worked for them and how long we've known each other."

"Where have I been living for the past week?"

"In my apartment."

"With whom?"

"With me."

"Anyone else?"

"Uh-h-h-h no."

"Well then, we are two healthy young people full of hormones and stuff. What do you think they believe we're doing in there?"

"Reading sci-fi novels and watching Netflix."

"No. That's what we're actually doing. What any reasonable person assumes is that we are making wild, hot monkey sex in there."

"But I don't find you particularly attractive."

She clenched her fists. "And you're not exactly a hunka hunka burnin' love either. But we make do."

"But the Superstar people still know that we have only known each other since the audition."

"I'm an actress. I can sell this."

"I hate this idea."

"Give me something better or get on board." She crossed her arms and waited. Gary had nothing.

She continued, "Let's go back and grab Philip before they get packed up. I'll do the talking."

She took his clammy hand and led him down the hall.

"Hey Philip!" Cherie called out as they approached.

Philip looked up, "What's up?"

"We didn't want to say anything because we haven't told our folks yet, but Gary and I are engaged."

"Engaged?" His tone was dubious.

Cherie stepped forward. "We've been living together since I got to town. You can verify that."

Philip looked at Gary rubbing his chest and laughed. "Okay. Sure. You're engaged. I assume that means that the shoot is back on."

Cherie beamed. "We just need to find a backdrop."

"Somewhere outside is usually good."

She pondered. "We need to find someplace scenic in Champaign, Illinois in the winter." They both looked at Gary.

Gary thought for a moment. "How about in front of the Cattle Bank?

Cherie shook her head. "I'm not going to be filmed under a sign that says Cattle Bank."

"What about the Illinois Traction Station? That's an easy walk."

She pulled out her phone. "Since when are you an architectural historian?"

Gary shrugged. "I walk a lot when the weather is good. It goes with having no social life."

Cherie and Philip were busily googling the building on their phones. Philip looked up first. "Works for me if it works for you." He looked at his watch. "We've lost the light today and I think the weather is supposed to be better tomorrow. I'll find motel rooms for the night, and we'll crank this out in the morning. We have to be on the road before noon."

***


Jim Harriman didn't sleep. When Superstar had originally contacted him and asked him to compete, they had been clear that he would be a frontrunner and they would make him a focus of the season. Now they were telling him to copy the trick of another magician!

He gave up around 5am and got on his computer. There was no way he could concentrate enough to work on his act. What was the tone he heard in Ed's voice? Was it dismissive? Was he yesterday's news before ever making the paper?

His mother left for work, leaving him alone in the house. He was normally indifferent to being alone. But this morning, aloneness was oppressive, like a weight. He wanted someone to talk with and distract him from his thoughts. His mind worked better with the adrenaline load of performing for others. An acquaintance had once said that he was like a dog that enjoyed showing off his tricks.

He clicked the link that was waiting in his inbox and the first video was of Gary in the cubicle with Cherie at their first meeting. Harriman recognized neither of them. He watched until the trick was over and stopped it just as Cherie said, "That's impossible."

Jim's first thought echoed the woman's: That is impossible! But then he stopped himself. That was exactly what the illusionist wanted him to think. He had stolen tricks before. Anything that has happened is possible. Therefore, he just had to work backwards from what he saw to figure it out.

He replayed it multiple times. The only chance to plant the card was before the trick started. That required that she be in on the trick. What was Ed trying to tell him?

The second video was the Phase 4 audition. In this one, the camera work was much smoother and everything was clear. In both instances, Richardson seemed to be surprised that he was having to do his act. It was a clever ruse. It made the audience believe that this was happening cold with no preparation. That way, they subconsciously ruled out any preparations when they reacted to the trick.

He replayed through the trick again frame by frame. By calling attention to Ed who put the card between his hands, Richardson was calling attention away from the woman who would be the recipient of the card. That is where Jim focused his attention. He saw no unusual movements from the woman but again her left palm was never clearly shown. That was obviously how the trick was done, but, again, required her to be an accomplice.

He stopped the video and looked over the heads of the staff at the table. In the back corner of the room was the woman from the previous video. She was nondescript, so he opened the two videos side-by-side and confirmed. It was her.

Since Ed had made the initial card vanish, he had to be in on it, as well. But why? And why were they telling him about it now?

The third video was the actual audition in front of the judges. He watched this one very closely and Richardson was 15 to 20 feet away from the illusion. It was raw footage so he could see the camera feed from both sides, right and left. This gave him a clear view of both palms of each judge as they became part of the trick.

He watched it again and again. Even with collusion, this would require all four judges to have professional level sleight of hand skills. Or editing. But there was a live audience. He replayed it again and watched the timer on the video. No glitches.

Occam's Razor was beginning to get dull.

He went back through the videos with a fresh mind. He watched the videos yet again and tried to focus his mind on the perspective of Richardson. The first video didn't give him a lot of evidence, so he started with the second one. He put himself in Richardson's head.

And then he was terrified.

His eyes jerked away from the screen and focused on the room around him. There was the television set and the old bookshelf full of his mother's memories. Across the way was the kitchen. The fear faded away. That was odd. But he needed to figure the trick out. So, he tried again.

And the fear came back.

He stood up and physically turned his back on the screen and immediately calmed. Spinning back around, he avoided looking at Richardson or the staffers at the table but focused on the girl in the back of the room who had been in the first two videos. She was the key to this. Harriman was sure of it. Just because there wasn't a vast conspiracy, did not mean there wasn't any conspiracy.



© Copyright 2024 Loyd Gardner (glide10001 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313773-Invisible-Threads--Chapter-09