*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2314052-The-Hawk
Rated: E · Fiction · Animal · #2314052
An unexpected fate
“Don’t open your eyes, m’lady.”

Matilda startled, mid-stretch, and adjusted the blanket to better cover her nightgown. She squeezed her eyes tighter, just in case she forgot and peeked. This St. Valentine’s was the day her future would be decided. She just had to wait until her father, Lord Marmedoke, presented the caged goldfinch to her chambers. Then she would be ensured to marry a wealthy man.

Matilda pressed her fingers against her lips, stifling a yawn. She felt a hint of jealousy that the other young maidens would wake up this morn and actually be chosen by a bird. She bit back resentment. Her father knew best. Bringing a pre-chosen bird for her to feast her eyes on was a wise choice. She had told herself this a million times. She just needed to believe it.

“I'll go let Lord Marmedoke know you've awakened, m’lady,” Louise’s voice again startled her and she almost opened her eyes. “Remember, eyes shut!”

After counting to one-hundred and determining she was alone, Matilda peeked through one eye. Her room was dark save for a few candles burning in their stands. Louise hadn’t even opened the heavy curtains over her window yet. She fidgeted in bed before jumping out from the covers and marching to the window.

“Surely there’s no harm in letting in some light, as long as I close my eyes” she whispered. “T’would be awful to spot a wryneck before father delivers my true destiny.”

Closing her eyes and casting herself in darkness again, she reached out a hand to pull the curtain. She could feel the light from the new day pressing against her eyelids and warmth from the sun bathed her face. She blindly reached out to crack the window and a breeze blew, gently pulling at her hair. She smiled, and then frowned at a sudden strange tapping on the window glass. In another instant, Matilda felt something fly by and brush her face. She jumped back, covering her mouth to hold back a scream. Without thinking, she opened her eyes — and found herself face-to-face with a hawk.

“Oh, no!” she groaned. Her mind skittered over the different meanings of the birds and how they played a role in finding True Love…or not. But she couldn’t recall ever hearing what it meant for a maiden to see a hawk.

The bird sat on her writing desk with cocked head, studying her. Matilda wished she had a leftover piece of meat to feed the creature. He looked so noble and fine. When it hopped a few inches closer to her, she summoned up her courage and held out an arm, offering a perch. The hawk immediately flew and landed on her shoulder, just as her father opened her chamber’s door.

“Open your eyes, my daughter, and feast your eyes upon the goldfi…”

Matilda flinched, ashamed. The hawk adjusted itself on her shoulder. A shrill chwirk came from its beak as it glared at the bird in the gilded cage.

“What have you done?” Lord Marmedoke gasped.

“I’m sorry, father. I only wanted to let in some fresh air…” she gestured helplessly at her window.

“Do you know what this means?” her father sputtered. “Do you understand the significance of this…this…” he threw up his hands and rolled his eyes. “Of course she doesn’t,” he muttered to himself. “Nobody could ever have prepared…this should never have happened!”

Matilda stood still. The hawk rubbed its head against her cheek, as if to comfort her. “Father?” she whispered. “You’re scaring me.”

“You do well to be afraid!” he snapped. “You’ve just sealed your fate, child. And there’s nothing I can do to help you.”

Matilda licked her lips. “What…what does the hawk mean, father?”

He shook his head. “The hawk is only seen once every century, when the Keeper of the Woods regenerates into a young man and requires a new bride. It seems he has sent his hawk as his emissary.”

Matilda laughed. “Keeper of the Woods? Father, those are tall tales told since my youth. Stories to keep young children from wandering into and becoming lost in the vast forests —”

“No," he interrupted. "The stories are true. I had assumed you would be safe, here in your room. With your window and eyes closed. That if the bird came to this village it would choose another maiden. It seems I took too much faith in a daughter's obedience.”

Matilda cringed at the sharp words and the hawk bounced, threateningly, on her shoulder. Her father shrank back.

“What do I do now?” Matilda asked, fighting the urge to cry.

Lord Marmedoke sighed. His shoulders slumped and he ran a hand over his face. “Pack your bridal gown and…and follow the bird. It will take you to your new home and the man who will be your husband for the next hundred years.”

Matilda had never seen her father cry, so was surprised to see his lip wobble and a tear streak down his wrinkled face. “This is goodbye, daughter.” He reached forward, as if to give her a hug, but the hawk snapped at his hands and he lurched back. She had already been claimed.

Her father picked up the cage with the goldfinch and released it out the open window before leaving her chambers.

Matilda turned her head and found the hawk staring into her eyes.

“So it begins,” she said with a firm nod, and reached for her bridal gown.



All Those Extra Things
© Copyright 2024 Genipher (geniphery at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2314052-The-Hawk