*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2314262-A-Lovely-Night
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2314262
Flash Fiction
A Lovely Night

When I was a young child, I loved going out in the dark. I drove my parents crazy because as soon as my eyes adjusted to the dim light, I would hide! Not from my parents, of course. Just so I could watch the evening.

There were always some birds and animals, mostly squirrels who came by, but my favorite part was the sky, and the trees. I would sit near a tree, always a different one so the others wouldn’t feel left out, and watch the night.

Eventually I got older, other things became more important like talking with my girlfriends about whichever boys we had crushes on, that stuff. And then I grew up and lived my life.

Tonight, I was alone, now well in my seventies. As I walked by my back window, I suddenly remembered those nights so very long ago. Looking out the window, I decided to go out. I was almost giddy! It had been so long since I’d even thought about it!

Grabbing a sweater, off I went! I had to be careful, my backyard, yes, but not the one of my youth, and I didn’t know this one in the dark. I bumped into a few things, almost tripped over a bush. Too late realizing I should have brought a flashlight!

Finally, I got to the bench by the garage and decided this was a good spot to sit. I was a bit old for the ground now. So, I sat and looked out into my yard, and then the giant sky above. It was beautiful!

Suddenly my old wrinkled body felt alive again, brand new! The breeze on my skin, intoxicating! I was in Heaven! Well, until I smelled dog poo on my shoe…

Still, it was, a lovely, lovely night.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2314262-A-Lovely-Night