*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2314624-Bitter-Medicine
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Health · #2314624
Simon the young dragon has a bad cold. 300 words
Bitter Medicine


“My stars and garters, Simon Sickly are you here again!” Goody Crump exclaimed to her next visitor.

“I’ve got anudder cold, Goody. Help me!”

Crump used a large spoon to check his throat and listened to his chest with her doctoring trumpet. Finally, she nodded and went to her cupboard full of tried-and-true remedies. Putting several in a bucket, she returned to Simon.

“What have you been doing this time?” she asked sternly.

“Flight practice in a thunderstorm last week,” Simon snuffled and wiped his dripping snout.

“Should I have a word with your instructor, maybe write you a note?”

“No! Don’t do that! The flight laughs at me enough because I’m thin and weak looking!”

Goody Crump eyed the young dragon thoughtfully.

“Perhaps a tonic to help you put on some brawn,” she muttered.

“Do you have something like that?” Simon asked, then sneezed mightily, spewing gouts of sparks at Goody.

“I better get you over this cold first,” she said, patting out the tiny fires on her gown.

Simon nodded as he wiped his nose with a large fireproof handkerchief.

Goody sorted through the bottles then she pulled a small one out. The liquid inside was a swirl of rainbow colors. She handed Simon a tiny spoon.

“Try this one. It’s a new mixture for chills, colds and other respiratory ailments.

Simon poured himself some. Closing his eyes and opening his jaws, he poured the drop in.

“This tastes terrible!“ Simon managed as he coughed and gasped. “What do you expect? It’s medicine!” snapped Goody Crump.

“In that case, take another dose for good measure,” Goody Crump advised. The dragon reluctantly did so.

“Come and see me again next week. "We can talk about that tonic,” Goody said as she ushered him out of her cave.

© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2314624-Bitter-Medicine