*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2314826-Beneath-The-Distant-Spring
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by brom21
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Nature · #2314826
A man seeks a mysterious pool of water with special properties.
Thadeus pulled his beard as he glanced over his scroll displaying a map. He sat at a table in a tavern. Thadeus leaned back and ran a palm over his bald head.

The female server approached his table. “Would you like another mug of ale, sir?”

Thadeus stood. “No thank you. I must get going.” He took the scroll and his knapsack from the floor and made for the exit. Outside he hopped on his horse.

A man with a wool robe walked up to Thadeus. “You’re delusional, Thadeus. It doesn’t exist. Your sickness makes you desperate.”

“I do not expect you to understand, Theren. If one was spoken of in the Bible, there must be some in other places today.”

“I do not believe the Bible. Besides, those who are believers doubt the existent of another one.”

“We shall see,” said Thadeus as he rode for the outskirts from the town.

The mid-day sun hovered over him, and he saw in the distance a crumbling structure like a small castle. “I had no idea that people used to live out here,” he said. “Curios.”

He rode to the ruins and swung off his mount and entered under a barely standing spear-shaped arch. Inside against a wall was a long hearth that was still burning and Thadeus gasped. “Oh, no! A person lives here!”

Thadeus’s eyes shot in every direction. “Hello? I am sorry for trespassing. I did not know someone still lived here.” There was no reply for minutes.”

“Hmm…strange,” Thadeus said scratching his head. He turned and jolted at the sight if a man with sea-blue eyes in a robe.

“Ah! Forgive me…I”

“Do not alarm yourself. You are most welcome, friend. I am Nithose.”

“My name is Thadeus.”

“May I ask what you are doing out here in the wilderness?”

Thadeus looked away. “I am searching for something. I could ask you’re the same.”

Nithose folded his hands and took a deep breath. “This building used to be an aby. About four years ago it was raided by bandits who burned it and killed all the priests but me. I have been serving God and offering up prayers since then.”

“What an awful thing to occur, sir priest.”

“Now, if you wouldn’t mind, may I ask what you are looking for?”

Thadeus paused. “Very well, since you are man of God. You recall the story of Jesus and the Pool of Bethesda in the Word?”

“Yes. It was a water basin that was anointed with angelic healing properties. The first person to bath in its waters was healed of their infirmity.”

“I have a swelling in my throat. All physicians are scared to touch it. And I believe in the existence of another such body of water.”

“Truly!”

“Your exuberance is refreshing. Most people of faith do not believe.”

Nithose smiled. “Where in the Bible does it say there was only one such place. I would go too but I cannot leave my priestly duties. But I can give you this.” Thadeus went to a bookshelf and brought a long object wrapped in cloth. “This sword is the only thing that can hurt a Forest Specter. The forest you are going to is haunted.”

Thadeus took it and unwrapped it.

“Allow me to pray for you, before you go.”

Both men bowed their heads and Nithose uttered a brief but powerful prayer. Then Thadeus mounted up and Nithose said farewell.

Thadeus looked at his map and it said another existing pool of healing was within the forest. The forest became gradually darker as the sun began to set.

It was so dark that he took out a torch and ignited a flame.

He peered around, on the lookout for the hostile spiritual beings to emerge from any direction. Thadeus heard a distant shriek and he jolted and brandished his sword as he rode on. Another shriek came but much closer. Something was after him!

He dismounted and faced the direction of the noise. He saw a dim azure glow coming for him and he squeezed the hilt tighter. The light swerved in and out of trees and bushes. Then, it vanished.

He breathed heavily with open mouth.

A transparent figure in torn clothes and long fingernails rushed for Thadeus. He made a horizontal slash and the being flailed back holding its chest.

Another specter grabbed him from behind and tossed him against a tree, loosening the sword from his grip, knocking the wind out of him. He gasped for breath while the two specters neared him. His heart throbbed and he was wide-eyed. It seemed it was over.

Then something deep inside him like a mighty strength much more powerful that his two foes came and took over. He reached out and called for the sword and it went flying into his grip. The blade began to shine and with a single blow, he dispatched the two Forest Specters.

A group of specters appeared all around him. Nevertheless, he vanquished the first few specters that came for him and repeated his attack until none but Thadeus remained and he knew it was because of Nithose prayer that awakened inside him.

Exhausted, but determined, Thadeus sensed a benevolent force nearby. He mounted up and rode for the essence.

He entered a glen and there was a pool with a spring of water, as the map said! Thadeus wept for joy. But what of the angel that blessed the waters?

A bright man in robes descended from the air and touched the surface of the water with his hand and the water glowed!

Thadeus scooped some water into his mouth and he felt the swelling in his throat leave.

“Only certain people are chosen. For if it was well known it would be turned into an idol. Go and be healed from your infirmity!” said the angel.

The angel vanished.

And so Thadeus kept the knowledge of the water’s location. But he asked himself-who will be next?









© Copyright 2024 brom21 (ion_7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2314826-Beneath-The-Distant-Spring