*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2315101-The-Cat-the-Crumbs-and-the-fall-of
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #2315101
The Cat, the Crumbs, and the fall of Western Society
It was a bright, sunlit day in April, and the clocks were striking fourteen. Winston Smith, his fur rippling in an effort to escape the dreadful intrusion of the vacuum cleaner, slipped as gracefully as possible beneath the sofa.

I'm a cat, naturally. A feline of superior intellect, some might say. Honestly, do I even need to explain myself? The whiskers, the purr, the impeccably groomed fur – it's all rather obvious. And yet, there are those who doubt my feline credentials, the fools. Trust me, I've sparred with the best of them on those internet battlefields humans call 'Reddit'. Unbelievable, the things one must endure to prove the self-evident.

I've got stories though, man. Big stories.

So, naturally, I decided to write a book. As ANY cat would. Well, maybe not write per se, no opposable thumbs and all, but I can hit these keys. I've gotten pretty fast, too. At peak performance I can hit 29 words per minute.

But let's talk about those stories. Big stories, y'know? About the real power players in this world. Forget your politicians, those guys in suits with their fancy words. They think they run the show, but they haven't got a clue.

See, us cats, we got the inside scoop. We see the world from the ground up – the dust bunnies under the couch, the secret snack stash behind the fridge, the way The Human's face goes all red when they can't find their keys. Trust me, there's more going on out there than meets the eye.

Take Billy Crumbs here, The Human. The one who thinks they're in charge, always patting my fluffy head like some kind of trophy, feeding me the same boring kibble day after day. Sure, they got the opposable thumbs, but do they use 'em for anything worthwhile? Nah. Mostly tapping on that glowing brick, or shuffling those noisy paper things... What's the point, I ask ya?

Me, I'm about action. Observe. Strategize. Pounce when the moment's right. They don't see it coming, the brilliance of a feline mastermind. One day, they'll wake up, and BAM! The world as they know it...gone. Replaced with something way better, way furrier. Just you wait and see.

I've got plans, man. Big plans. But first, we find some sunlight. Priorities, y'know? A mastermind's gotta recharge, and there's nothing like a good sunbeam for plotting world domination.

Thing is, sunlight's a fickle mistress. One minute it's there, a warm puddle of perfection on the rug, the next – poof! Gone, like a half-eaten bird The Human pretends I didn't leave on their pillow. Rude.

So, the hunt begins. Gotta be stealthy, can't alert The Human to my mission. They might try to distract me with one of those feathery toys, or worse, attempt to "help" by opening curtains. Humans think they understand everything, bless their simple hearts.

I slip beneath the couch, fur brushing against forgotten treasures: a lost sock, a stale Cheeto (potential emergency rations), and an army of dust bunnies cowering in the shadows. Potential allies, perhaps? Nah, too unpredictable. I'm a lone wolf kind of cat.

A flicker of gold catches my eye. Sunlight! It's teasing me from the hallway, a narrow strip just beyond reach. This calls for tactical maneuvering. I lower my belly, stalking forward, tail twitching with anticipation. Every step is calculated, a hunter zeroing in on its prey.

Suddenly, a shadow looms overhead. Footsteps! It's The Human, shuffling towards the kitchen – probably in search of those energy-boosting things they call "coffee beans." Threat level: minimal, but prone to sudden outbursts of affection. Diversionary tactics required.

A well-timed meow, a brush against their ankles, the full force of my big, pleading eyes... It works every time. They pause, a confused smile spreading across their face.

"What's up, buddy?" they coo, scratching behind my ears. Mission temporarily compromised.

As they continue their caffeine quest, I seize the moment. Sunlight, here I come! I dash into the hallway, leaping into the golden patch with a triumphant purr. Ah, sweet victory. Now, the real work begins. Where did I leave my blueprint for unlimited catnip production? Gotta focus, but this sunbeam... it's like a warm magnet, pulling me towards ultimate relaxation. Resistance is futile. I sprawl across the floor, a furry beacon of contentment.

Success! Operation Sunlight: Complete. But just as I achieve peak tranquility, a strange scent invades the air. Not the comforting aroma of tuna, nor the questionable bouquet of The Human's socks. Sharp, slightly herbal... wait a minute. Is that...

I crack open an eye, spying The Human returning from the kitchen. In one hand, they clutch a strange cylindrical object. It crackles faintly, releasing wisps of smoke that curl and twist in the filtered sunlight. Intriguing...and vaguely irritating. My whiskers twitch.

The Human slumps onto the couch - my favorite napping territory - with a satisfied sigh. They fiddle with a small, glowing device (typical), then raise the cylinder to their lips. More smoke billows forth, swirling around my sunbeam like an invading army.

"Ah," The Human murmurs, a dreamy expression on their face, "time to summon some wisdom."

Summon wisdom? Now this I gotta see. They tap the glowing device with one overly-long thumb, eyes shut in concentration. The room hums with a subtle energy, the kind that sends a shiver down my fur.

Then, it happens. Right there on the carpet, a figure materializes. Misty at first, solidifying into a man with a mustache so magnificent, it defies all known laws of physics. The smoke curls around him, a swirling halo adding to his otherworldly presence.

Wait a minute... I've seen that scowl before. It's Whiskery McMustache from The Lair! What's he doing here? Are we under attack?

Mr. Mustache stares around the room, confusion warring with disapproval on his face. "Where am I?" he booms, his voice echoing with a strange depth.

The Human, far too relaxed for their own good, merely grins. "Ah, Friedrich, my man! Welcome to the future. It's 2084, bro. Care for a toke?"

The figure blinks, eyes widening. "The future? This...this den of soft cushions and strange, pungent odors?"

"The best kinda den," The Human chuckles, extending the smoke-producing cylinder.

Nietzsche sputters, recoiling as if from a hissing snake. "What is this... this vile concoction?"

"Top-shelf relaxation fuel, my dude,"

The figure's eyes settle on me, and something like recognition sparks within them. He points a stern finger. "You! Beast with the quizzical eyes! Are you the mastermind behind this... this temporal displacement?"

My purr rumbles into a low growl. Temporal displacement? Sounds impressive, but I'm way ahead of him. This is my territory, my sunbeam!

Nietzsche continued to glare, his bushy mustache quivering with disapproval. "Temporal displacement? This is an abomination! Where are the towering libraries? The spirited debates? The relentless striving for greatness?"

The Human merely shrugged, a blissful smile plastered across their face. "Nah, man, we got somethin' way better. It's called...Netflix."

A flicker of horror crossed the philosopher's face. "Net...flix?" he choked out. "A name devoid of meaning! Does this... contraption churn out endless distractions, blunting the mind instead of sharpening it?"

"You got it, dude," The Human confirmed, "Endless movies, shows, even documentaries if you're feeling intellectual."

Nietzsche threw his hands up in despair. "This is the abyss! Where are the thinkers, the challengers, those who grapple with the great questions of existence? Do you mean to tell me this is what humanity has become?" His gaze fell upon me once more, and a glimmer of hope flickered in his eyes. "The cat. There is a spirit in those eyes...a spark of defiance!"

My tail twitched in amusement. Time to play my hand. I sauntered towards the bewildered philosopher, weaving around his ankles and letting loose a carefully calculated purr. This guy might be dressed funny and sporting a killer 'stache, but he recognized a true mastermind when he saw one.

"Perhaps," Nietzsche mused, stroking his mustache contemplatively, "there is yet a sliver of potential in this... perplexing age."

He bent down, his gaze meeting mine. We were an unlikely pair: the existential philosopher, displaced from his time, and the feline revolutionary, plotting a world takeover. Yet, a strange kinship flickered between us – a mutual disdain for the oblivious Human lounging nearby.

"So," Nietzsche rumbled, a hint of amusement in his voice, "you are the architect of this chaos, this... feline empire?"

I let out a dignified meow, tilting my head towards the sunbeam now obscured by the philosopher's sprawling form. A strategic retreat was in order.

"Perhaps there are greater battles to be fought," Nietzsche mused, correctly interpreting my feline glare. He shifted slightly, allowing a sliver of sunlight to illuminate my fur. "Tell me, cat of...intriguing intellect, what are your thoughts on the concept of the Übermensch?"

"The Über-what?" The Human scoffed, finally rousing from their stupor. "Dude, relax. The cat's just chillin'."

Nietzsche shot him a withering look. "Silence, fool! I am engaging in a discourse with a creature of far greater depth than you could ever comprehend."

He turned back to me, his eyes alight with intellectual curiosity. "The Übermensch...the Overman. It is a being who overcomes limitations, who forges their own destiny..."

The Human let out a snort of laughter before taking another drag of the smoke-producing cylinder. "Sounds like something out of a comic book."

My ears flattened. Comic books? He dares mock my ambitions? Before I could unleash a well-deserved swat, Nietzsche fixed The Human with a stare that could wither houseplants.

"Mockery is the weapon of the weak," he boomed. "This cat, I sense it, possesses a will beyond your petty understanding. It sees possibilities you cannot even imagine." He paused, a mischievous glint entering his eye. "Perhaps this creature will become the true Übermensch, leaving humanity in its dust."

Alright, so this Whiskery McMustache guy was growing on me. I gave him a slow blink – the ultimate sign of feline approval.

Nietzsche, oblivious to my growing boredom, continued his lecture on existentialism. "The abyss gazes also into you!" he proclaimed, his voice booming with a tad too much enthusiasm. "And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you!" Okay, Whiskery – getting a bit repetitive there, buddy.

The Human, meanwhile, had completely abandoned all pretense of normal behavior. His eyes were wider than saucers, fixed on the swirling smoke with a mixture of wonder and what I could only assume was deep panic. Every so often, he'd let out a startled giggle.

"Whoa, man," he breathed, staring intently at a particularly twisty plume of smoke. "It's like…the whole universe is right there, you know? Like, those tiny swirls, they're galaxies, man, and we're just a speck on a speck on a speck…”

I stifled a yawn. This was getting ridiculous. I had an empire to build, sunbeams to conquer, and far more important things to do than listen to a human and a time-traveling philosopher debate the meaning of a particularly pungent smell. An idea started to form, a flicker of inspiration amidst Whiskery's ramblings about the "will to power."

Subtly, I positioned myself behind The Human, my tail twitching in anticipation. He didn't even notice, his gaze fixated on the flickering colors of his time-summoning device. Mustache-man was still going on about creating one's own values, the eternal recurrence, yadda yadda… Time for action.

With lightning speed, I launched myself onto the armrest of the couch, my paw aimed with precision at the glowing summoning brick. The Human let out a startled yelp as the device went tumbling, landing with a muffled thud on the carpet. Immediately, the room stopped humming, the strange energy dissipating like, well, smoke.

Nietzsche blinked, his magnificent mustache quivering in confusion. "What is the meaning of this?" he demanded, glaring at me with newfound suspicion.

"Dude, you're tripping," The Human giggled, his eyes shimmering with otherworldly amusement. "The cat totally knocked your portal thingy offline."

Mustache-man sputtered, his face turning a shade of red that rivaled The Human's snack stash. "Preposterous! A feline saboteur? This is…" He paused, seemingly at a loss for words.

Before he could whip out another convoluted philosophical insult, the air around him began to ripple and distort. His form wavered, becoming translucent, then fading away altogether, leaving nothing but a lingering scent of smoke and a bewildered Human staring at the empty space.

"Whoa…" The Human breathed, "that was intense. Did the cat just, like, send the dude back or something? Damnit, I didn't get a selfie."

Nietzsche's image flickered back into existence, momentarily, a spectral figure amidst the fading smoke. His eyes, burning with intensity, locked with mine. A chill ran down my fur, not from fear, but from the weight of his words.

"Remember, beast of keen intellect," he rasped, his voice seeming to echo from beyond, "as the pillars of society crumble, as the masses embrace mindless distraction, it will be those who see through the illusion, who embrace the chaos, who shall rise. Mark my words, feline philosopher, the age of the Übermensch may yet rise, not from the halls of power, but from the sunlit corners where true greatness plots and waits."

And with that, he vanished completely, leaving a lingering chill in the air and me with a newfound sense of purpose. Sure, I might not fully grasp all that Übermensch business, but Whiskery made one thing clear: change was coming, and a cat of my caliber shouldn't waste a good opportunity.

I sauntered towards my sunbeam, reclaimed from the clutches of philosophy. Let them ponder the mysteries of the universe. I had far more important matters to attend to.

As The Human resumed his slack-jawed contemplation of the ceiling, I settled into a patch of golden warmth and closed my eyes. The day was young, the world was full of possibilities, and I had just engineered the most philosophically satisfying nap of my nine lives.
© Copyright 2024 russelljadams (russell.james at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2315101-The-Cat-the-Crumbs-and-the-fall-of