*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316214-The-Whisper-on-Willow-Creek
Rated: E · Short Story · Ghost · #2316214
The Whisper on Willow Creek
The first time Annie saw the house on Willow Creek, a shiver ran down her spine. Maine had a knack for old places, but this one breathed desolation. The clapboard bulged and peeled, the roof sagged, and even the weeds seemed to flinch away from its long shadow. Sam, her husband, was all smiles and oblivious enthusiasm.

"Come on, Annie! Just look at that porch! I can fix this place up, make it our own…" His words trailed off as she stepped toward the overgrown path. Every creak of the dilapidated boards made her skin crawl.

They'd been driving for days, first from the suffocating crush of New York City, then through hours of monotonous New England countryside. Sam needed a fresh start, longed for wide-open spaces and a slower pace. Annie, a born and bred city girl, had come along reluctantly. She'd been a successful editor, with a buzzing social life she hadn't been quite ready to leave behind. But the look in Sam's eyes when he found this place online… well, sometimes love meant compromise.

The inside was worse. Damp seeped from the walls, the smell of rot a constant companion. Sam, ever the optimist, was already sketching designs for a new kitchen. Annie could only stare at the peeling wallpaper, imagining the faces it might hide.

"This is it," Sam declared later, setting down his beer on a paint-splattered table. "We're buying this place."

Annie didn't cry. At least, not then.

They spent the first few weeks at the Sleepy Willow Motel down the road. The room was cramped, the TV broken, and room service was a bag of stale chips from the vending machine. But it beat that house.

Days were filled with patching, painting, and hauling out debris. Evenings were long, a symphony of creaks and groans, Annie's city-honed nerves perpetually on edge. It was just old house sounds, she told herself. Just the place settling.

Sam was in his element, the transformation of the house into something sturdy and hopeful giving him a glow she hadn't seen in years. He whistled as he worked, the sound almost enough to chase off the shadows.

Then came the whispers.

At first, she thought it was the wind. But the sound was too… intentional. Too much like a voice, hushed and raspy, right at the edge of hearing. It would start at dusk, growing louder after midnight. She lay awake, heart pounding, sure someone was in the house.

Sam found her gripping the bedsheets, eyes wide, one particularly restless night. "What's wrong, honey?" His voice was thick with sleep.

"I… thought I heard something." She hated how small she sounded.

"Just the house doing house things." He patted her arm, then rolled over and was asleep in seconds.

She didn't sleep. The whisper was closer now, swirling around her like a hungry ghost.
The next morning, she confronted Sam. His smile faltered. "Don't tell me you're getting spooked by the place already."

"I'm serious. Someone's here."

Sam sighed. "Old houses like this, they've got echoes, Annie. Probably just a drafty window, or some animal in the attic."

But Annie knew, with a certainty that chilled her, that it was something else.

There was no peace in the house. The whisper followed her, taunting her from behind the walls. She'd flinch at her own shadow, convinced for just a moment that it was someone – something – else.

One night, fueled by coffee and desperation, she ventured into the attic. Cobwebs clung, dust danced in the flashlight beam, and the air was stale and suffocating. She coughed, eyes straining into the gloom. And there, tucked beneath rotting rafters, was a box.

Her heart hammered as she tugged it out. It was heavy, wood bound in rusted iron straps. Inside, nestled on yellowed newspapers, was a doll. A beautiful porcelain doll with wide, unblinking blue eyes, and a smile that didn't reach the coldness beneath. Attached to the doll was a yellowed note. The script was spidery, the words unsettling:

For my dearest Emily. May you forever keep watch.

Emily. A child had lived here, had played here. Perhaps that presence was what Annie felt, a whisper of the past echoing through time.

She tucked the doll back in the box, resolved to do some research. At the town library, an old newspaper clipping told the story. In 1922, a little girl named Emily had drowned in Willow Creek. No one knew quite how. An unexplained tragedy, one that seemed to have stained the very fabric of the house.

The whisper changed then. Instead of a rasping taunt, it seemed almost plaintive. "Emily…" it would sigh, heavy with an unspoken sorrow. Annie shivered, but this time with pity, rather than fear.

She found herself drawn to the creek, standing on the sloping bank where the willows dipped their branches into the dark water. Here, at the edge of town, she felt an eerie kinship with the lost girl.

A glint of something caught her eye – a flash of blue just beneath the surface. She waded in, heedless of the cold seeping into her boots. Her fingers closed around the familiar porcelain face. The doll.

That night, with the doll strangely comforting on the pillow beside her, Annie finally slept. She dreamed of a smiling girl, hand outstretched, the water swirling around her like a whispering shroud.

The next day, Sam came home to an empty house. He found a note pinned to the freshly painted kitchen cabinet.

Don't worry about me, I'm okay. We're okay. There's something unfinished out there, and I think it needs my help. Love you. - Annie.

He didn't understand, of course. But there was a peacefulness to the house he'd never felt before. The echoes had faded, replaced by the whisper of the wind through the willows… a whisper that almost sounded like a sigh of thanks.

Some might think Annie was crazy. Maybe they'd be right. But she spent those long Maine summers by the creek, sometimes catching a glimpse of a smiling girl reflected in the water. The old house on Willow Creek stood tall and proud, a testament to a different kind of renovation. It was a place where the lost found rest, and where the living and the dead could offer each other a kind of strange and beautiful solace.
© Copyright 2024 russelljadams (russell.james at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316214-The-Whisper-on-Willow-Creek