*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316052-Late-is-the-same-as-Never
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by KS23
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2316052
It didn't work in the past, and it doesn't work now.
The ring was closing in on her. Ten foot rusted metal walls were moving, slowly shrinking the chamber's diameter. Its many narrow panels screamed as the machine forced them to extend and overlap each other much like a camera's shutter. Gloria's life expectancy diminished with every bloodcurdling shriek.

She'd been tried and summarily convicted. The facts were simple and straightforward. Were this incident the first of its kind for Gloria, a warning from the court may have sufficed. But as the fourth, well, everyone accepted the judges had no choice.

And in accord with judicial precedent, because this was the fourth offense, Gloria was not permitted to present a defense, or even to speak.

The screeching grew louder as the walls inched together. Gloria howled in fear, begging for mercy.

Observing from windows high above, one magistrate ordered her to be silent. "You know the laws, Miss Bell. The financial stability of our great nation relies on everyone contributing their fare share, and in a timely manner. As administrators of this enterprise, we at AT&T must uphold the new constitution without exception."

With her final breath as the chamber pressed her on all sides, Gloria wailed, "But I swear, the check is in the mail."
© Copyright 2024 KS23 (kellyspring23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316052-Late-is-the-same-as-Never