*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316107-The-Letter
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Adult · #2316107
Just Short Story
Phoenix was 3 months pregnant and her husband was overseas fighting the constant war between countries he had only been gone for 3 months before he left to serve she told him about the baby before he left and he promised her that that he would come back for her and for the baby. Despite him being gone they talked every chance they got, they video chatted and wrote letters to each other so they could keep in touch. The recent letter Phoenix had wrote to her husband had ultrasound photos in them because she thought it would give him strength to keep going because she knew things were very hard for him physically and mentally and he needed strength for both and if that's what gave him strength then that made her feel good. Today was another beautiful but lonely day Phoenix woke up to do her daily routine, she would get up and moisturize her face and then rub coco butter on her belly for stretch marks, after all that was done she would go check the mail to see if any letters had arrived. Phoenix went out to the mailbox opening it she found two letters which was weird because he only sent one, something felt off about the second one that she couldn't put her finger on but she took them both back into the house and to the couch getting as comfortable as she could. She opened the first letter taking a deep breath before she began to read it.

My Dearest Phoenix....

I miss you so much, words cannot express how lost I am without you, sometimes I want to give up but then I remind myself what it is I'm fighting for and that is you and our baby. I promise you i'll come home to you and we can be a family like we've always wanted to be. I know it's hard to be strong but please be strong for me and for our baby. I'll be home soon I love you so much.

Love your husband Jack.

Phoenix teared up a bit like she usually did when he wrote to her but it was just because she missed him. After she finished reading she tucked it back into its envelope before grabbing the other one which still felt off to her but she still didn't know why. Phoenix took a deep breath before opening it and started to read,but she didn't expect it to say what it said she put her hand over her mouth as she read.

My Dearest Phoenix.

While i'm writing this I am sharing some news I know I promised you I'd be home but I won't be the war has gotten worse I've lost half of my squad It's down to 5 people and I'm sure we aren't going to make it so by the time you're reading this I have tragically passed away but know I fought so hard to keep you and our family safe from harm. I love you beautiful your going to be an amazing mother, I want you to stay with my mother so that you're not alone, I need you to keep fighting and know I'm watching over you.

Love Your Husband.

Phoenix dropped the letter and heavy tears fell down her face she really was alone now and she didn't know what to do, yes she could live with his mother but it wouldn't change how lonely she would feel. All this fighting and for what? Absolutely nothing. She put a hand on her belly and let the tears fall.
© Copyright 2024 Phoenix (heavensreaper at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316107-The-Letter